Part 1: Pre-Departure

Start from the beginning

"So, I heard you were heading on a trip out east with the exchange students," Bui said, looking up from his bowl.

"That's right," I said as I turned on the faucet and poured water into my cup. Sadly. The idea of getting stuck watching Lei and his friends was a bother. Unfortunately, their group was too big for just Sonata and my great-granddaughter to watch over. Given they had to watch over Tasunke and Tashunke, they needed all the help they could get. But why did it have to include me?!

He chuckled. "Wish I could join you guys."

If he had, that would've made things worse. Bui was as much of a flight risk as the twins.

"Maybe next year."

Bui bounced in his seat. "So, where exactly are you going?"

"I'm not sure yet. I left the details to Koukyuu and Sonata."

"Wow."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why wow?"

"You usually like running things yourself!"

I shook my head. "Only things that interest me."

He snickered. "Just like me!"

I turned away and went back to preparing my miso. There was a reason why we were similar in that way. Not only him, but Tabiki and some of my other grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well.

"Hey, want me to help ya pack?!" Bui asked, jumping out of his seat.

I smirked. "Already did it. Also, like I'll let you pack my stuff. I might end up missing stuff or bringing stuff I don't even need."

"Hmm, true. You're a lot more meticulous than me when it comes to that. Well, I'm off to see Koiichi!" He put on his backpack and rushed out of the kitchen.

I sighed. He sure packed a lot of energy in that little body of his. I really was too old to be taking care of kids.

My microwave dinged.

I put my hands together and said a silent prayer to Inari, the goddess of fertility and progenitor of the kitsune. Time to eat.

My cellphone dinged as soon as I sat down to eat.

"Ugh, what now?" I asked as I pulled my phone out of my pants pocket. It was a text from my great-granddaughter. Apparently, she wanted us to meet at the front of the main school building. Well, at least she had the prudence to text instead of waste my time with an actual call.

I put my phone down on the table and returned to eating.

*Lei*

I gasped as I found myself in the same dark space as when I'd gotten eaten by that panther. Why was I here?

A couple of weak meows echoed from the darkness. It sounded injured. I scanned the area but I couldn't see any cat.

"Kitty? Where are you?" I asked, walking toward one of the shadowy rapids. The physics of this place made as much sense as that of a dream.

"Meow," a kitty said before falling to the ground. Like I thought, it had to be unwell.

"You okay?" I asked, picking it up.

It opened its mouth but it failed to even meow this time. Poor thing.

I stroked its back. Was it hungry or sick? Maybe it couldn't breathe well? I reached into my pants pocket for my inhaler, until I remembered I'd left it on the nightstand. Maybe healing magic would help, although I was nowhere as good as Adela.