Part 1: Pre-Departure

**Solar Note: As the number implies, the events of this book take place between the events of Descent of Darkness and Blade of Ruin, during the last trimester of Lei and co.'s first year.**

*Akinari*

[Millenia Ago]

I sat on a stomp and wiped sweat from my brow. Phew! Who knew that a hundred swings in a row could be this exhausting?

"You've gotten a lot stronger, Aki," Koko said as he sat down beside me, panting.

I smiled. "Thanks! I do have to be if I plan to succeed Mama!"

He tilted his head. "You think you will? You're not the oldest."

I huffed. "That's why I'm training! To beat my siblings! All they do is play their silly games!"

Koko chuckled. "Some would call our wooden sword fighting playing too."

I blushed. "But it has a practical purpose!"

"So does tag if you think about it."

I hummed. He had a point there...

"Say, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Koko's eyes widened. "You're asking me? Are you feeling okay? Need me to get you some water?"

I huffed. "I'm fine! Why would you think that?"

He snickered. "Well, ya usually talk about ya dreams and likes. It's unusual to hear ya show interest in what others want."

I crossed my arms. Was he calling me self centered?

He stared at the wooden sword in his hands and smiled. "I wanna be the best tool synthesizer in the world!"

"That so? But isn't it a broad field?"

He hummed. "True." He raised his sword. "Guess I'll start by making swords! Then maybe I can do masks or something."

"Mask? Is it because your family has made them for generations?"

He nodded. "Even if I don't plan to be just a mask maker, I still want to continue our traditions."

I stared at the river a few feet away. Traditions, huh? Didn't such things just hold us back?

***

I moved my arm away from my eyes and stared at the ceiling. Why did I dream of my childhood?

I got up from bed and ran a hand through my long red hair. It had already been millennia since I was that bratty kid.

"Hey, Gramps!" Bui yelled as I entered the kitchen. He sat with a big bowl of cereal in front of him. "Want some?"

I shook my head. "You know I hate sugary stuff." Making my way over to the cupboard, I pulled out a cup of instant miso. It wasn't as good as the stuff one made, but at least it was quick.

"Say, gramps. I've been meaning to ask, why do you make yourself look different at school?" Bui asked, looking up at me.

I removed the lid of the cup. "I do so to hide my identity. I've lived for far longer than the average person. I'd rather not be bothered."

Bui grinned. "You really are an old fart!"

I narrowed my eyes. "Call me that again and no cereal for a month!"

He whined. "Okay, I won't call you a fart."

I sighed and sat down. Bui was a smart kid, but sometimes he could be so naive. Wished he was more astute like his cousin Tabiki.