"It's. . . just a sword. I've even tried magic and it doesn't work for me. How far will some blade take me in a sorcerers' academy?"

"It's not 'some blade,' dear. It's your anomaly. The fact that you have it means you're a sorcerer. Regardless of how you may be now, this academy should teach you whatever is necessary. Not only that, we won't need to worry about coin anymore," she added, looking upward in bliss.

It was well-known that anyone who joined the most notable ranks of the Imperial kingdom would have their families financially secured for life, and the Academy was no exception. Although Cristoff hadn't gone through many hardships in life, it was the idea of his family having security that made him apply to be an official sorcerer in the first place. He wasn't necessarily obsessed with wanting to be a sorcerer, either, but he still managed to somehow get accepted with his anomaly.

With little time left in the day, he quickly gathered most of his personal belongings that he felt had sentimental value, such as an ornate dagger his grandfather had gifted him, a fluffy woolen scarf made from the wool of a giant northern mountain sheep, and a small gold chain that had been in his family for several generations. His father arrived home from being out with the traders several hours later, and he quickly put together a leather knapsack full of rations. Close to sunset, the carriage had been hired and the driver waited patiently as Cristoff said his goodbyes to his family.

"You'll have a grand time, I presume," his father said confidently, his fine curls wrapped together into an elegant bun behind his head. "Military service is a wonderful way to build respect and a reputation."

"Oh, don't scare him like that," his mother pouted. "He likely won't end up in the military. There's a chance of him being a renowned scribe or advisor, you know."

Although his mother was trying to make light of the situation, it was obvious what the Academy was created for; when you joined and graduated, you were ushered into the ranks of the Imperial army, and with the current conflicts that plagued the realm, it was near impossible that Cristoff would avoid some sort of enlistment. Still though, the idea of being able to see the rest of the world was something he looked forward to, even if it meant having to take part in a few battles. "It'll be all right, Mother," he said, smiling cheerfully to ease the tension. "I won't be their slave or anything like that. Once all these conflicts end, I'll be right back here to recuperate."

It was then that her eyes welled up with tears, and she snatched him forward for an embrace, holding his head in her arms. "Promise me, then. Promise that you won't leave us for good." He could hear the worry in her tone along with sadness of him leaving.

He wrapped his arms around her, doing his best to maintain his composure. "You have my word. I'll send letters as well, so you'll be getting the entire tale on how it's like when I'm traveling."

After that his father embraced him and slapped him on the back. "She's right, you know. It would be nice if you actually came home alive."

Cristoff couldn't help but chuckle. "Aye. I'll make sure I do."

Departing wasn't much of an emotional surge for him. As the carriage rolled down the rocky main road that led on for several leagues to the capital, he didn't truly feel sad or upset. He knew that whatever came after this wouldn't be easy, but he was relieved that his family no longer had to worry about funds. With little trade making it to the southern territories, his father had great success as a merchant, bringing home enough to live comfortably. Cristoff had mentioned this while applying to the Academy, and it immediately made his family talk about how they were doing just fine with what they currently earned. Regardless, Cristoff still wanted to help them out, and his father hadn't been wrong about the reputation that a military past could bring. The Imperial army had plenty of magicians in their ranks, but it was the sorcerers who were born with the ability to use magic as easily as they could run, making them extreme assets. However, this didn't seem to apply to Cristoff at all. While the sword he wielded was certainly an anomaly that could pertain only to sorcerers, he couldn't seem to make magic work for him, even with the help of several hired tutors. Mother may be right, he thought as the worn wooden carriage shuddered with every bump on the road. The Academy may actually be able to teach me. But even if they do, I'll be at a disadvantage once I arrive. Doing his best to avoid any further worrying, he pulled a cozy woolen blanket over him, lying longways in the seat and dozing off after a few minutes.