Second Guessing

Saya had no idea what Ajax had in store, but as his promised day grew closer and closer Saya began to doubt him. What if she had misunderstood? Maybe the letter was all it appeared to be on the surface. Was she really that desperate?

"Hm, you seem rather preoccupied today, Ms. Saya." Three stood high above and looked down at them with eyes glazed over with something strange. His usual excitement and exuberance was missing. Something was wrong.

"I could say the same about you, monster," Saya spat back. She didn't know what was swirling around in the boy's mind, but she was sure it wouldn't be good for her and Chongyun.

"Yes, well," Three sighed and slid down into a sitting position. "I guess I am simply disappointed. You know that I have been keeping tabs on Gisei of course and after some time of reading all the letters he tried to send you and the reports that he wrote, I have grown rather fond of him."

"Yeah, right." Saya crossed her arms over her chest, despite the way that it was tightening. Something was very, very wrong. "You could never care for anyone but yourself."

"Yes, perhaps you are right. I am just a monster and a freak after all."

Saya was taken aback by his response and the genuine sadness that seemed to ring in his voice. Her hands fell to her sides and she looked up at Three's crouched, vulnerable stance. He looked so human, now. He looked like nothing more than a broken boy that needed something he would never get.

"What- What happened?" Saya whispered. Realizing a moment too late that she was caring about someone that had caused nothing but pain and grief his entire life.

"See for yourself..." Three pulled out a piece of paper from inside his jacket and let it slowly drift down towards Saya.

She caught the paper and flipped it over to see what it was. Saya stifled a gasp and stumbled backwards. "No..."

"Yes." Three slowly rose to his feet and began to walk away. "I- I truly am sorry."

Saya hardly even heard him. All she saw was the photo in her hands. The world around her seemed to tremble and blur. She fell to her knees and gasping sob escaped her throat. This was all her fault.

In the photo, a man stood front and center. He hadn't noticed the camera and his eyes looked over his shoulder with a cold indifference. Blood covered his face and his coat. His gun was in his hands and he held it tightly. Behind him people lay broken, bleeding, and dead.

This man couldn't be Gesei. Gesei laughed as he hung from trees and as fish swam away with his hooks. He had gotten upset when his photos got ruined by the rain and when the lightning set the laundry he was drying on fire. He never stopped laughing and caring even when he was soaked through and mud covered his shoes. Saya had known Gisei for years. He was strong and he was a protector. He had done everything to protect her, and she had doomed him.

This man was hollowed out and haunted. He was empty. He was broken. He was Gisei.

-<>-

Three spun a pen between his fingers as he stared out at the wall of screens before him. He could see every room in the building through the kameras and he watched as Saya fell to the floor and she clutched the photo closer to her chest.

                     Wow, you're a bad person. What's wrong with you?

                                         Oh, please. You've always been awful, since when did you care about others?

                               No, you didn't do anything wrong. You're just doing what he told you to.

"Shut up," Three hit the side of his head with the heel of his hand as if he could knock the voices out of his mind. The voices only laughed at his efforts.