Consequences

warning: a pretty decent amount of blood

They walked down a hallway to a glass bridge. Snow fell softly from the sky, but the cold seemed to stab into Chongyun from every side. Everything still hurts so much.

Thirty Seven had a brisk step and he quickly led Chongyun to a new hallway. There were doors all along the sides, but something felt really weird about this hall. It was different from the others, but Chongyun wasn't sure how. The lights might have been a bit dimmer here, but that wasn't it.

Suddenly a scream tore through the silence. It was a man. Someone in inexplicable pain. Chongyun jumped and ran to the door where the sound had come from. He yanked on the handle, but the door refused to budge. Thirty Seven sauntered over painfully slowly. He grinned at Chongyun and then slid a key into the lock. The second he turned it, Chongyun threw open the door.

He leaped into the room and froze. There were three chairs and a small table in the room. Three walls were empty and the last wall was a window into another room. Inside the other room was Gisei.

Gisei was on his knees, one hand over his eye the other desperately reaching out. Above him stood the tall man from before. A wicked grin spread across the man's face. He held a small knife in one hand and a bloody mess in the other.

"Wha- What are you doing to him?" Chongyun asked weakly.

"Improving him, of course," Thirty Seven said, standing up straighter. "Every one of our soldiers are the same. The Pyroslinger's eye is replaced with a pyro infused ball of glass that will improve their aim and accuracy. Their voices are all also replaced so that there are no distinguishable identities of someone so low in the ranking of the fatui."

"He could shoot someone in the wrist while balancing in a tree and still keep his target alive," Chongyun slowly turned to look at Thirty Seven. "He doesn't need improvement."

"Oh, relax. He'll survive"

Chongyun turned back to the gruesome scene before him. The tall man had grabbed Gisei by the chin as he had before and brought the knife down on his other eye. A single tear slid out from his eye and Gisei tried to keep his mouth closed, but another cry ripped out from his throat as the man ripped out his eye.

"He'll only need one eye after this," Thirty Seven said without a care in his voice. He seemed entirely disinterested and distant from everything. "If any new recruits seem like they might need any extra discipline, well, we make sure they only get the necessities."

"You're a monster." Chongyun took a step away.

"Hm, perhaps," Thirty Seven ran his hand through his hair and looked at Gisei.

The tall man grabbed a glowing red orb from a jar on a shelf and grabbed Gisei again. He slowly lowered the orb into Gisei's right socket. The gunner flinched away, but the man just laughed. He threw Gisei to the ground and left the room.

Gisei lay on the floor, shivering. He closed his eyes and brought his hands to his face. When he pulled them away, they were wet with blood. He rose to his feet, eyes still closed, and stumbled towards Chongyun and Thirty Seven.

"Don't worry," Thirty Seven muttered. "He can't see you. All he sees is a mirror."

Gisei rested his bloody hand on the glass and brought his other hand down from the face. He tentatively opened his left eye to expose the glowing red eye. Gisei began to shake harder. He banged his fist against the glass and released a yell of frustration. He leaned against the glass and slid to the floor. He curled in on himself and rested his head on his knees with a sigh.

"Wanna go see your friend closer?" Thirty Seven said with a grin. He placed his hand on Chongyun's back and ushered him through another doorway that looped around into Gisei's room.

The door opened with a groan and Gisei shakily rose to his feet. He trembled as they walked in. Gisei took a hesitant step closer, his bloody hand outstretched.

"Y-Yun? Is that you?" He stumbled and grabbed Chongyun's shoulder. Chongyun grabbed him and tried to support him.

"He won't be able to see fully for a little while," Thirty Seven took a few steps further into the room. "He's lost lots of blood, so we'll postpone the next operation for a few days."

"What have you done with Hisaya, you bastard?" Gisei growled and reached blindly out towards Thirty Seven. "If you've hurt her, I swear I'll-"

"You'll do nothing," The segment said, standing up straighter. He placed a hand on Gisei's shoulder and forced him to face him. "If you try anything, she'll be the first one to suffer for it. Listen to the orders you are given or I'll make sure that she lives long enough for you to see her beg for death."

Gisei froze. He tried to stand up, but swayed a bit. Chongyunquickly went back to his side. Gisei cursed under his breath. "I- I'll follow any orders you give me and I'll go through whatever operations you want. Just leave her alone."

"Well, of course," Thirty Seven brushed a hand through his hair. "I would never spend energy hurting someone for no reason."

Gisei lunged towards Thirty Seven, but the segment just stepped to the side. Gisei fell to his knees, and Thirty Seven kicked him in the side. Gisei grunted and grabbed his chest. He tried to get to his feet, but Thirty Seven just hit him over the head. Gisei fell with a sickening crack.

Chongyun rushed towards him, but Thirty Seven grabbed his arm. "He's fine," the segment grunted as he pulled Chongyun from the room. "He fainted more from the blood loss than anything I did. He'll be dizzy and blinded for a few days, but he'll heal with time and learn to accept his fate."

"What is wrong with you?" Chongyun tried to pull his arm free, but Thirty Seven's grip was like iron.

"There is nothing wrong with me!" The Segment said, walking faster now. "I have complete control over your life and the lives of your friends. I am in control, I have the power. Now, you are going to do absolutely everything you are told, or I will kill your little cicin friend. I'll tell your sniper about it, and he will live the rest of his life wondering what it is that he did that caused her death. Do you understand me?"

Chongyun stayed silent. He looked up at the doctor. Chongyun had no power and no control here. He was at the whim of a crazy person. He looked down at the ground, but nodded slowly. He couldn't do much, but he would protect his friends.

"Good," Thirty Seven calmed down, "Now, I will be moving a cot and a few things into the room where you first met Three. You will stay there and never leave it. Everyday, you will get a dosage of the ancient karma from Three. Whenever 'Zandik' returns, you will act as if he has only been gone for a few days at most. Understood?"

"Yes sir," Chongyun muttered. He closed his eyes, but all he saw was Gisei's bloodied eyes. "May I ask just one question?"

"What is it?" Thirty Seven snapped.

"Where- What did you do with Hisaya?"

"The cicin mage?" He opened a door that led to the circular room where Chongyun had started. He ushered Chongyun inside. "Well, I improved her. of course."

He closed the door with that. Chongyun threw himself against it and started banging on the cold metal.

"What have you done to her!?" Chongyun shouted. He kicked at the door and banged his fists harder. "Come back here!"

Chongyun took a few steps back from the door, breathing heavily. His whole body still ached from earlier. He released a small yell of frustration, and turned towards the rest of the room. He froze midstep.

"Why, hello there."

~author's note~

I'm getting a bit behind, but I still should be able to get everything in done in time. Gisei was actually never meant to be an important character, yet look at him now. Thanks for reading