Dreams

A small cry escaped from Chongyun's lips. He gripped the arms of the chair and flexed his back. The karma could be seen shooting through his veins in a dark twisting web. The black lines raced up his arm and twisted onto his torso and back. It was so cold it felt as if every part of Chongyun's body would shatter like glass. He tried to keep his mouth closed but a scream ripped out from his throat. The dark lines raced up his neck and over his face.

Chongyun raised his shaking hands to his face and grabbed at his hair and head. A darkness like nothing Chongyun had ever known began to cloud his mind and his sight.

"Do- Dottore!" Chongyun managed to call out. "What? What is happening?!"

Everything began to shake and Chongyun felt like his mind was about to shatter, but then it stopped. Suddenly, the darkness receded and the cold melted away. A small shiver clung to him, but the bad thing was gone. It was over, It was done.

Chongyun tried to stand, but fell to the floor panting. The world was spinning, everything hurt.

"Don't hurt yourself," Dottore slowly stepped over to Chongyun and extended a hand. "I know it's painful, but when you suffer often you become accustomed to pain."

Chongyun took Dottore's hand and managed to stand. Most of his weight was on the boy. He was surprised that Dottore's small frame was able to hold anything more than a few books. Books... Xingqiu...

"Ah!" Chongyun gasped and grabbed his head. Everything was a cloud of confusion and pain. Trying even to remember simple things seemed a huge task.

"I'll take you to your room," Dottore helped him into some room, though Chongyun couldn't remember how they had gotten there. Everything hurt too much.

"Rest here. I'll bring you some food and water. Don't push yourself or anything." Dottore left Chongyun on a small cot, but even laying down hurt. Chongyun's mind began to blur along with the world around him. He finally fell into a deep troubled sleep.

Chongyun dreamed he was back in Liyue, but it was different. He wore his old clothes, the trees and streets were the same, but it was like a ghost. People walked through him and no one could hear him. Not sure what else to do, he went off to find his friends.

Xiangling was in the Wamin Restaurant. She stood at the stove absentmindedly stirring a pot of noodles. She didn't have the usual excited energy that always followed her. She didn't seem like she really saw the dish in front of her at all. The water began to boil over and the noodles were clearly becoming overcooked. Chongyun tried to grab her shoulder and warn her, but his hand went right through her. He was forced to remember that he wasn't really there.

He left the restaurant and began to make his way to the city library when he spotted Xingqiu. The book worm was perched high in the tree by the entrance to the city. It was their favorite spot. Chongyun ran over and climbed up the tree. He sat beside his friend and looked at the book in Xingqiu's hands. Field Guide to Demons and Beasts, it was a journal that had been passed down through Chongyun's clan. Chongyun had made an effort to add what he could with his limited encounters with monsters.

Xingqiu traced his fingers over Chongyun's sloppy illustrations. He laughed sadly and brushed a few strands of his hair out of his face. His beautiful golden eyes were rimmed with red. Had he been crying? Chongyun wanted to comfort his friend, but once again could do nothing. He climbed back down and began to walk off towards the mountains.

It took a little while, but Chongyun eventually managed to find Auntie Shenhe. She was sitting with Miss Ganyu and Master Cloudretainer. The three whispered about something, but in this ghostly state Chongyun only heard bits and pieces. They talked about loss and lies and truth. Chongyun heard the fatui mentioned once and something about letters. Oh, Chongyun thought to himself. They must have gotten my letter from the fatui. Did going away make Auntie angry?