Chapter 49: Aydin

"Archie, what's going on?" I ask as I run over to him, standing by his side.

He looks distressed. "I don't know, but Taylor just tried to burn down the Lifeblood. It's like it's causing the magic to flicker or something," he explains. He then lowers his voice. "He also has Exitium with him, which we completely neglected to get back."

"Fuck," I say, but then I process what Archie just said. I ask angrily, "Taylor did what?"

"You heard me," Archie responds gruffly.

I shake my head. First, Archie running off by himself and now this? Klaus just shifted back and forth and tripped over himself. Aster can't seem to switch forms. I don't even want to try to use my ability. Who knows what will go wrong?

Can things get any worse?

My brother looks terribly enraged now, lighting his hand. The flame disappears and reappears multiple times as he stalks toward Archie. I push Archie to the side and stand in Taylor's path. "Don't touch him," I growl.

"What're you going to do about it?" Taylor laughs like my confidence is the funniest thing ever.

I quickly send him a thought, I should punch myself in the face. He raises his arm, his hand balled up into a fist. Right before it makes contact with his face, he pulls his arm away. He chuckles. "It's so fun to see you fail, brother."

"You bitch," I grumble.

"That's you," he says with a smile.

I roll my eyes. What's more fun than him seeing me fail is watching him try to come up with comebacks. So unfortunate that he never had even half a brain.

Klaus walks up beside me, frowning. "Can someone tell us what the fuck is going on? We saw the smoke and came over here as fast as we could, but there's no fire. Just weird magic."

Aster nods as Klaus speaks. "Something's definitely wrong with it."

"No shit," Archie says.

Taylor giggles in response to our futile conversation. "Now all of you know how I've been feeling since you killed the love of my life. Broken."

He opens Exitium and reads something from it. He waves his hand toward Aster, small sparks shooting from his fingertips. Aster screams and falls to the ground, his legs stretched out in front of him, only... snapped in two.

"That was no spell from Exitium," Archie whispers. "I've read it from cover to cover. There was nothing that would enable that."

Oh, shit. What are we in for?