Chapter 23: Aydin

If Christian really wanted me dead, he wouldn't have left the knife in my side. While it hurts like fucking hell, it's keeping most of the blood in. I'm beyond weak, but I'm alive at least. His stupidity is the reason I'm dying, but also the reason why I'm still living. My headache has subsided but the suffering caused by the stab wounds is enough to make me just want to die right now. Coming out here wasn't a good idea and now, Christian and my brother are gone.

How do we fix this?

I don't know where they went but I'm quite sure Taylor was captured by Christian. I've been fading in and out of consciousness so awareness isn't my strong suit at the moment. God, this has gone worse than I ever could've imagined.

Carefully, I sit up and scoot across the ground over to Archie. If he doesn't wake up soon, I will die. I'm not sure if I can walk. With every movement I make, I wince from the sheer amount of pain coming from my leg and side.

I shake Archie. "Wake up," I say frantically. "Wake up, please."

A thought pops into my head and I feel enlightened, almost. Is it possible for my ability to work on people that are asleep or unconscious? It's worth a shot, I suppose. It's not like I have many options. I send Archie an urgent thought. I need to wake up right now.

To my complete and utter surprise, his eyes flutter open and he looks at me in confusion. "Aydin? What happened?"

I open my mouth to speak and I realize how difficult it is to get words out right now. My side and leg are killing me, literally. I talk slowly, "You passed out, I think. Christian took Taylor and I'm not sure where they went." I cross my arms over my abdomen so as to not worry Archie so much.

He sits up and looks around us. "Did you see which direction they went?"

"No, I was too busy going in and out of consciousness," I reply, moving my arms.

Even the slightest pressure on my side causes me great pain. Archie's gaze moves from our surroundings to me. "What happened? Did you get hit by the knife? Are you okay?"

I grimace, my wounds throbbing. "It hit my leg but Christian wasted no time in stabbing me right after." I move weakly, showing Archie my wounds. Every part of my body feels like they're going limp.

"That bastard is going to pay," Archie growls. "Can you walk?"

"I don't think so," I reply, my vision getting blurry again. I worry that if I succumb to the need to close my eyes right now, I may never open them again.

Archie stands up and helps me to my feet. Everything is starting to spin. I hear him mutter, "This is all my fault.

My legs begin to move without my control. My arm is slung over Archie's shoulders as he helps me get out of the woods with him. I don't know when I pass out or when I wake back up for that matter, but it takes me a while to respond to Archie's comment on himself. I murmur, "It's not your fault Christian is a psychopath."

Archie sighs and says, "But I got you into this mess."

I open my eyes as wide as I can and realize that we're on the path to my cottage. "But we didn't know what would happen. You can't place the blame on yourself," I reassure Archie, my voice sounding distant, like I'm not the one saying the words.

"I completely blame myself," he says right before I fall unconscious again.

When I awaken, we're inside my bedroom. I'm lying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I hear footsteps enter the room and stop next to my bed. "Aydin? Are you awake now?" Archie's voice comes.

I turn my head to the side, looking at Archie. "How long have I been out?"

"A few hours, at least. I bandaged both your wounds but I think you might have to redo the one on your leg since I put the bandage over your pants," he tells me. "I need to go for an hour or so, but I promise I'll come back as soon as I can."

I nod, barely processing what he's saying. He bends down and presses his lips to my forehead, then gives me a small smile. I watch as he walks out of my room and close my eyes when I hear the front door shut.

Things just got a whole lot more complicated.