Chapter 47

Kelsey's POV

"Need to finish a report before going," Andrew announces, leaning against the office door frame I'm sharing with Alicia. The last person I thought I would ever share an office with.

He walks in, stopping on my side and massaging my shoulders. We've been busy today. I last saw him during our couples counseling appointment this morning before work. It was one of my requirements before accepting his proposal. To improve our communication skills, which we clearly needed help with.

"You two go ahead. I'll join you later." He pecks my temple before leaving Alicia and me alone, staring at each other, uncomfortable.

The three of us should have drinks together to celebrate the launch of the new office.

Two weeks ago, I started working here at Andrew's company. I requested a one-month delay before starting my contract for the wind farm project in Aberdeen, so I could work here with him and help organize the company and the new office.

It wasn't enough to be aware of what was happening. I knew Andrew was carrying the company on his shoulders, and I wanted to be there with him to share the weight as much as possible.

***

"The bartender is checking you out." I bite my lip, observing the bartender shaking drinks while staring at Alicia.

The silence was killing me. We're still uneasy around each other, and it's disturbing, considering we share an office and work together.

Initially, she avoided me like the plague, and I thought it was because she hated me and wanted to steal Andrew from me, but I have doubts about the real reason now. Her avoiding eye contact with me and hiding behind people causes me to consider she might be ashamed. It's nearly comical since she threatened me a while ago, and now I have the upper hand.

After working together every day, we didn't get any closer, but I noticed how hard she worked and helped Andrew here without any apparent expectations.

She turns just enough to check on the bartender and then spins fast to look at me.

"You don't have to do that."

"Do what?"

"Compensate."

"What?"

"I'm not going to steal your boyfriend."

"Fiancé," I shake the ring in front of her, and she shrugs.

"He committed to you long before that." She taps her nails on the table, annoyed.

"What do you mean?" I frown at her, turning it into a smile when the bartender places the drinks before us. I don't miss the appreciative way he glances at Alicia. She doesn't acknowledge him, but as soon as he turns around, she checks him out on his way to the bar.

"I'm talking about him bringing you here to live with him when he never even dated another girl." She takes a bite of the fruit that came in her drink. "Or that picture of you on his phone." She shrinks her nose and shakes the toothpick around like this information is self-explanatory.

"What?"

She turns my way altogether now; her entire body is facing me.

"For God's sake. He was happy to tell people about you and the offshore wind you visited despite never talking about his own life." Her voice is high and nasal, and I contain a grimace not to show it isn't pleasant.

"And you know how frustrating that is? I overshare with him, hoping he would tell me at least something. And he never does unless it's about you." She tilts her head, staring at me like I'm responsible for Andrew's undersharing behavior, and I stare back at her, not backing down.