Chapter 5: Organic.

Chapter 5: Organic.

"Oh my God, I had no idea." Julia says, laughing as we walk into one of the school's cafeteria.

"There's no way you didn't know?" I ask her, staring at her in shock.

"I honestly didn't know. I thought he just used that walking stick for fun." She says and I shake my head as I get my tray from the stack.

"Nope. He got hit by a truck three months ago, so he uses that stick to maintain his balance." I tell her.

"I thought you of all people would know this. You guys were so close freshman year." I chide.

"Jesse and I don't really talk like that. We grew apart. It's like you and Amira." She says and I give her a nasty side eye.

"Amira was literally a backstabbing bitch. It is not the same situation." I say, grabbing a bunch of grapes. I tell the guy at the counter my order and Julia does the same.

"You know you never really told me what she did." Julia points out as we walk to our table.

"Remember Princeton Churchill from LSU?" I ask her.

"Yeah. You guys literally talked everyday during freshman year." She says and I nod.

"Well, Amira stole his number from my phone and started texting him and basically made up lies about how I was a whore here at NYU and Princeton believed her." I tell Julia and she gasps.

"No way." She says, covering her mouth. "I thought you guys fell out 'cause he's so far away and he had to focus on basketball."

"Nope, it was all Amira's fault. And I know I could be like if he didn't believe me then it wasn't meant to be, but he was probably insecure about the whole situation between the two of us. And we were still building trust." I say, placing my tray on a table by the window.

"Still, Amira is like a next level snake. That's some scary behaviour from someone you called your friend." She says and I nod.

"That's why I'm actively avoiding people in this school. I know, I might come off as standoffish, but I don't care. It's for a reason" I tell her, opening my chopsticks up.

"So, Destiny's party is next week. Have you gone shopping for her gift yet?" Julia asks.

"Mhm." I hum, chewing a piece of kimchi.

"The fuck?" Julia says, looking at something behind me.

"What is it?" I ask her, wiping mouth with my hand.

Turning around, I see Penelope, a friend of ours who went MIA for the past three months and Dodger Matthews, the power forward for the Broncos, standing at the front door of the cafe.

"She's..." I start, but can't finish my sentence due to bewilderment.

"-pregnant." Julia says, completing my sentence for me.

"She literally disappears from the face of the earth and pops back up with a baby in her stomach." I say, still staring.

"And just in time for the fall semester too." Julia chips in.

"Shit they're coming over here. Act natural." I say, turning around.

"Fuck." Julia says under her breath.

"Hey, guys." Penelope's cheery voice filling our table.

"Hi." I greet, my voice coming out a little bit strained.

"Where you been girl?" Julia asks her right off the bat.

"Growing a child." She says, sitting on the chair that Dodger brought to her.