Chapter 2: Emotional Shopping.

"I'll need about four boxes of red wine." I hear my mother tell her staff as I tap away on my phone trying to beat level 297 of Candy Crush.

"Honey, which glasses do you think I should serve the wine in?" My mother asks and I look up.

She's holding two glasses that are identical.

"I don't know they're literally the same." I tell her, shrugging.

"No they're not. This is the Gabriel-Glas One For All and this one is The Grassl Cru red wine glass." She tells me.

I have no idea what she just said, but okay.

"The one on the left is really pretty, I think you should use that one." I say, pointing at the wine glass in her hand.

"Great. Thank you for helping me decide." She says and I flash her a quick smile before she walks away.

My mother is having this benefit at her restaurant today, so that's why she's all over the place working. I'm here to offer moral support as you've just seen and eat free food.

"Miss Paragon, would you like a refill?" A waitress asks me and I nod. She pours more apple juice in my glass.

"Motherfucker." I say under my breath and the waiter looks up at me.

"That wasn't for you, sorry. I'm just trying to beat this level of Candy Crush." I apologize to the waitress. She walks away and I bury my face in my hands.

"I see you're still on your Candy Crush obsession." I hear a voice say and I know who it is immediately.

"What do you want, Jasper?" I ask, lifting my head up as I stare at him.

"I just wanted to say hi." He says, flashing me his million dollar smile.

"Well, hi." I reply, waving him off.

"Still sour about our break up, huh?" He says, looking smug.

"Pfft, that was literally two years ago. I have moved on." I tell him.

"Mhm." He hums, not listening to me as he adjusts his cufflinks. I roll my eyes as I stare at him.

"Nova!!!." My mom calls out and I mentally thank her for getting me away from Jasper.

Standing up from the chair, I grab my glass of apple juice and walk towards my mother.

"What do you want me to do for you?" I ask my mother with a smile on my face.

"Nothing." She says, putting her hand on my shoulder. "I noticed you talking to Jasper and I wanted to help."

"Aww, mom." I say, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thanks for the save."

"Now, would you like to look at the decorations in the foyer?" She asks, grabbing my arm.

"Sure." I reply before taking a sip of my drink. As we turn into the foyer I catch Jasper staring at me at the side of my eye.

An hour later I am at the bar as the jazz band plays in the restaurant. My mother is mingling with her guests and I'm trying to avoid her because she'll do the whole "this is my daughter and she goes to NYU" thingy. I am not ready for that right now.

I get a text on my phone from Julia, she got a new Birkin bag. She's emotional shopping again. If Jeremy really is being infidel then I know she's hurting right now. I have to indulge her.

"So cute😍" is my reply to the message.

Placing my phone on the counter, I take a sip of the brandy in my glass.