Chapter Seventeen - Drawing of Three (Faeron)

Faeron silently watched the group from a distance, having slipped out of Elise's room, he crept his way down to the alley where they first met. Peering around the corner, he spotted her and another woman, most likely the Chloe she was always going on about. They were talking to an Elder and the Prince, all standing at the bottom of the steps that led up to the Citadel's entrance.

Yet, it wasn't Elise who drew him there. Sure, he felt a similar pull when he first sought her out, but this one was stronger and it came without any guidance from his mind's eye. 

Though as he studied her, trying to make out exactly what her lips were saying to the men surrounding her, something else stirred inside him. Perhaps it was seeing Elsie outside the confines of her room, she looked vibrant in daylight, less tense than when she was close to him. But the tug in his chest overwhelmed his desire, yanking him by an invisible cord attached to his heart. The more he resisted, the stronger the pull.

To his surprise, the sensation ceased as soon as a different young woman came into his view

To his surprise, the sensation ceased as soon as a different young woman came into his view. His brow furrowed and he pulled his cloak up around himself and blended into the wall of the care-house, certain that he must have been seen somehow. Why had the feeling just stopped? He studied the group, tapping into his mind's eye, and instantly knew who had drawn him here. The younger woman, Light, she was just a girl, and with his keen senses he saw that she was unique.

Faeron's thoughts swirled as he tried to focus on what he was experiencing. Who was this new girl? How did Elise know her? He wasn't sure what to make of this entire situation. For weeks, he had been fighting draugar in his dreams. As an elf, he was expected to have lucid dreams, prophetic dreams, or even enter the dreams of others, but his dreams had never harmed him before. His dreams had led him here just a few short days ago, and since being near the witch, they had stopped altogether. 

Just as Faeron's mind wandered back to the witch, he heard her laughter and saw her reach out to the new girl through body language. It seemed apparent to him that Elise had taken a liking to her. He was puzzled about how all of this was connected to him. After so many years of solitude as the Warden of Humankind, why was this happening now? He feared the worst. 

Faeron studied the new girl again. He knew she was different and that she had pulled him down here to the courtyard because with his mind's eye, he could see her aura, her life force signature. All creatures had their own unique aura, usually consisting of one or two colors, sometimes three if rare. Yet this girl's aura was different. It shone brighter and stretched out double the size of the people around her. It looked as though it encompassed all the colors of the rainbow, dancing and flickering like the sun, like probing tentacles. Elise's aura, on the other hand, was grey, muted. Certainly hidden through her own magic somehow.

He had never seen an aura like the one the younger girl had on any human or other creature, except for one—himself

He had never seen an aura like the one the younger girl had on any human or other creature, except for one—himself. It was what made him the Warden. He was told it was a gift from the Cosmos, a way for him to oversee Humankind with a sharp heart and wise mind.

He had not seen this coming. Part of him wanted to approach the girl now and demand answers, but he already crossed a line by getting involved with the witch. He wasn't supposed to have any close contact with humans unless it was a life or death situation. Even then, he could easily make a person forget. He justified his encounters with Elise, assuming his life was in danger. The infection he received from his dreams had rattled him. He had felt her magic and knew she was his only only hope. That's why he sought her out.

And now there she was, captivated by this young anomaly. Was it jealousy he felt? Nonsense, an elf and a human could never mate. He attributed it to her being the only person he had talked to in over fifty years. She had grown on him in these few short days. Nonetheless, he knew it was time to bid her farewell. He needed to return to his homeland and report his strange findings.

He had an inkling of what was going on—the draugar, the witch, and now this mysterious girl. His thoughts turned to the legends he had been told as a child. He cursed himself for not returning home sooner. He should have gone back after the dreams began, even though they had shaken him. Would the dreams start again if he left her? No, he was glad he hadn't returned home so quickly. If he had, he would have never discovered Elise or the girl. Still, he needed answers and he wanted them fast. Luckily, he knew exactly where to find them.