Chapter Thirteen - Healing (Elise/Faeron)

Elise should have been ecstatic that she was now working for herself. Even though she still saw Chloe every day and assisted her as much as possible, she now had her very own patients to tend to. It should have brought her immense joy, pride, and excitement about her future, but that wasn't the case. Her mind seemed to be elsewhere, and she couldn't shake off thoughts of that bloody elf. It was his fault. He occupied her thoughts relentlessly, preventing her from fully embracing the positive changes in her professional life.

She had indeed helped him, just as she promised. Night after night, following her shifts at the care-house, she would return home half-expecting him to have moved on, but he hadn't. The unsettling part was that, every time she opened the door to her quarters, a sense of relief washed over her upon finding him still there. She found joy in the prospect of tending to his wounds once more, running her hands over his smooth skin, and engaging in another conversation.

He was certainly not a young child like she had first thought; now, he stood taller than her, his frame slender yet marked by a subtle muscular definition, though his features retained a softness

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

He was certainly not a young child like she had first thought; now, he stood taller than her, his frame slender yet marked by a subtle muscular definition, though his features retained a softness. His company brought laughter into her life, a deep, gut-wrenching laughter that echoed a joy she hadn't experienced since childhood. Despite his teasing about her true nature, she felt an undeniable sense of safety and comfort in his presence.

She still remained convinced that no one in Valterra knew her true nature. Those who once did were now gone. Fearful of the repercussions, she had lived the last few years here and diligently concealed her true identity. Yet, with the Elf — Light! whose name was still a mystery — she found herself lowering her guard. The sensation was liberating, she felt so free in his presence, and she sensed a unique connection when he was near her, more so when she touched him. He was so beautiful and serene, and such a horse's ass that she knew deep down, an unspoken affection had taken root within her.

Of course, it was only because of what he was. He had probably put a spell on her to make her such a dimwit. Though now, at the end of her day, as she walked towards her quarters, all she felt was dread. Would he still be there waiting for her?

When she made it to her door, she stopped and placed a hand on the knob, waiting. She was scared to death that she would open it and he'd be gone.

"Are you going to make me wait all night?" he called from inside the room. Elise felt instant relief at the sound of his voice, then she squinted her eyes. That devil!

With anxiety replacing her dread, she composed herself and reminded herself to be professional when she entered the room

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

With anxiety replacing her dread, she composed herself and reminded herself to be professional when she entered the room. She had already let her guard down about what she was. She didn't need him knowing she had fallen head over heels these last few days. Had she? Well, there was no escaping it now. She opened the door and stepped in.

Faeron still lay on the cot she had set up for him. It would look like he had lain there all day, but secretly he had been out scouting in the city for any signs of danger, disguised as a young boy. Tracking her with his magic was easy enough, but he simply knew when she was going to be finished with her workday. He looked forward to being in her quarters when she returned. He didn't want her worried about him, though he thought it odd that he cared about her feelings at all. Human or witch, he should feel nothing but the need to protect her. Maybe that was all this was.

"How have you been feeling today? Are you in less pain?" she asked as she sauntered into the room.

"Aye, your salve seems to be doing the trick," he replied, wincing more than he needed to as he sat up, letting her think he was still suffering. He wasn't sure why he had stayed here as long as he did. He could have just taken the salve she had made him and left on the first day. So why all the fuss and tending to? Was it because she made him feel young again? Because she was able to help him where he could not help himself? Perhaps, but most likely it was because of his dreams.

Ever since arriving in Bolster and staying with her, he found a remarkable shift in his dreams. No longer haunted by battles with draugar, his nights were now colored by peculiar visions. When he stayed near her, his dreams wove together the most extraordinary scenes. There were instances of both of them, caught up in a joyous dance across the sky, enveloped in a kaleidoscope of lights. On other occasions, she appeared with someone else, and strangely, he felt a genuine happiness for her as he observed her delight. There were even dreams that transported him back home. The entire experience was thoroughly perplexing to him.

One thing he knew for sure was that it felt good. Surely if he was entitled to anything while on Valterra, it would at least be that. He had been alone for so long, he almost forgot what it was like to smile at someone. To hear laughter or feel the touch of someone else's skin was so foreign to him.

He looked at her then, and she was looking at him. They both smiled at each other. They hardly had to say a word. In all honesty, he didn't know much of anything about her at all. When they had spoken, he had made jokes; he loved her laugh in particular, it came from the gut. She seemed to think he was pretty entertaining. She had mentioned her family briefly, but made it clear she was alone in this.

Still, it was something else he felt. Simply being close to her, something in his magic told him she felt right. He suddenly fought the urge to tell her she wasn't alone any longer. This was not good. He squirmed in his seat as she walked by him to her own room. He raised his hand to grab hers but stopped himself. He lay back again and settled on the cot.

"Chloe should be finished with supper by now," she called to him. "I'll make sure to bring you something back if I can," she added as she came back and stood over his cot. "If not, perhaps we can get you up and walking later. I'm sure there's plenty to eat at the Inn."

"I'd rather stay here if it's all the same. Too many questions in the city," he replied. Though it was true, he knew he was still making excuses. What is keeping me here? He thought as he watched her lips curve into a smile at his half-truth. It could be those, he decided as he met her eyes, instantly captivated by the subtle interplay of emotions in her gaze. 

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.