ch. 1

The year of the realm is 857 in Valisthea. It's been a little over two years since your arrival to Rosaria. The sun was shining high and bright over the capital of Rosalith. There is a lively atmosphere and bustling activity throughout the kingdom as the day reaches its peak. Many armored men are posted on foot, their duty being to protect the ins and outs of the kingdom.

A giant tarp shades the various edible foods from the heat, supported by wooden pillars and a large table made entirely of stone. You are sitting on a small wooden stool beneath the stall market's "roof," watching and greeting incoming customers while your mother handles the transactions. You were only the age of ten, so your mother's only requirement of you is to kindly greet everyone who comes across.

The stall stands in the heart of the marketplace district of Rosalith and has been running for the past two years, or so you can recall. From freshly picked fruits to harvested gysahl greens, you and your mother tend to several garden beds to grow what you can to get by. Sometimes, the two of you even venture to the outskirts of the kingdom to collect foods that aren't accessible from within the kingdom's gardens.

"Good day, madam. How much for a dozen of your decadent striped apples?", an elderly man inquires.

"Good day to you, sire. You certainly have a keen eye for the current season's offerings. That'll be 100 gil," your mother responds.

"A fair price indeed. One won't find a better deal anywhere else. I'll take them."

Your mother deftly selects a round, woven basket from the stacked collection, filling it with dozens of the red and white striped fruits. You observe how carefully she handles each apple, arranging them neatly before handing them over to the elderly customer and accepting his payment. This routine is nothing new to you, having witnessed her skillfully manage the shop until nearly every item is sold for the day.

"Thank you madam. You be sure to take care...That goes for you as well", he smiles.

Your mother turns toward you, a warm expression on her face.

"Take care, and please do come again," you reply, your nerves slightly evident.

And with that, the elder man continues on his way. As your mother finds a moment amidst the ongoing business, she walks over to where you are and bends down to your level.

"The customers have begun to lack. What say you to try and store away the next few purchased items?", your mother suggests.

Your interest is immediately piqued, as anything is more engaging than sitting on that old stool all day.

"Really? I mean... may I?" you ask, your excitement barely contained.

"It is true that you must acquire the skill and knowledge to tend the shop. Though you are still quite young, learning the earlier will prove best as payoff."

"Yes, Mother. I would like to learn sooner than later", you reply eagerly.

She smiles warmly. "Come then, (Y/N)."

Coincidentally, the next customer arrives, holding a handful of gysahl greens ready for purchase.

You greet the customer with enthusiasm, engage in some friendly conversation, and your mother eventually provides the total. The customer pays, and your mother motions for you to collect one of the empty burlap sacks positioned near the baskets. You retrieve a sack, opening it as you walk back toward her.

"Go ahead and fetch four gysahl greens and bring them here," she instructs you.

Walking around the front of the stand, you quickly pick up the greens and return to your mother, who's holding the sack open for you to deposit the contents. Carefully, you place each green inside, ensuring not to harm any of the meticulously grown leaves. Once the sack is secured, you move back around the stand and hand the customers their purchase.