60 PT. 2: Lost at Sea

Start from the beginning

"Who?" Namjoon asked. Ed looked uncomfortable, and he glanced at Namjoon.

Ed sharply inhaled, "Um...That's not important. But she gave me this look of pure disgust," he looked at Namjoon, eyes sad, "And then she just turned and walked away."

Now worried, Namjoon hooked an arm around Ed's, "They're probably old school. Can't get much passed their thick skulls."

Ed chuckled, but it sounded forced, "Right..."

Namjoon squeezed him lightly to comfort him, but Ed still felt tense.

"Namjoon, what if they try to do something to me?" He whispered.

"I wouldn't let that happen. No way," Namjoon scoffed, "I'm here forever and always, and nothing is going to happen." His stern voice brought a small smile to Ed's face despite the obvious doubt behind his eyes. Namjoon meant each and every single word, and Namjoon was a man of his word.

"If they try to do something, they'll have to do it to me first," Namjoon reassured, grinning down at Ed.

Another few days went by, and Namjoon came to the realization of two things.

He stared at the plates set out before the table at the makeshift dining area. The women, all fifteen of them had sat around the table, lively faces lit up by faint glowing candles. He even saw Aida, but it seemed as though her smile was not as genuine. She didn't talk much to the other women, only listening to the other women speak. Before them was a set of cutlery, ready to be used to eat the chicken, peas, rice and beans generously piled onto their plates. Namjoon hid from sight and slowly walked back to the storage closet. There, Ed sat backed up against the corner, far away gaze on nothing in particular. He lazily scooped food into his mouth, chewing without urgency. It wasn't until Namjoon's troubled look rounded the corner that Ed seemed to snap out of it. He set his spoon down,

"Should I spit the food out? Is it poisoned?" He rushed out, grains of rice becoming harmless projectiles. He'd been skeptical of the food ever since their arrival but they weren't dead yet so that had to mean something.

Namjoon shook his head, eyes trained on one thing. Ed followed his line of sight, raising a quizzical brow.

"Bro. Speak."

Namjoon closed the closet door and picked up his plate, stirring the small pile of rice and beans with disinterest as confusion swirled in his brain.

"Yo, maybe you need a factory reset or something cause you seem to not hear me," Ed raised his voice. There was no animosity, only worry.

Namjoon shoved a loaded spoon into his mouth, "They're having a fucking feast out there," he muttered, "Gave us an ounce of food so they had enough to pile their own plates up."

Ed blinked, "What?"

"They each donated one generous grain of rice and one bean so that we wouldn't starve," Namjoon bitterly chewed his food. It was silent for a moment before Ed burst out into giggles.

"On one side I understand," Ed spoke through his laughter, "But on the other, if they're gonna keep us here, they might as well feed us enough."

Namjoon sighed in frustration, "That's what I'm saying!"

"I'm still hungry after these but I guess I'll be ready for hot girl summer," Ed commented.

Namjoon snorted, hoping to muffle his laughter, but Ed simply joined in and continued eating. It didn't take long for Ed to lighten the mood. He was often the source of peace in Namjoon's restless life. Maybe it was the way he always listened, or maybe that he always knew what to say. He struggled through his own battles but always knew how to make it out. Namjoon now wished he had done more for Ed.