🖇️ Chapter 13

Nobody, but my parents, Raquel and I, has access to my room. The only logical explanation is that they came in through my window.

I would have believed that theory if the footage from 10:30am to 10:50am was not wiped out. They definitely came in through the doors, but how? And how did they gain access to the CCTV room?

***

"This house looks beyond expensive. I don't see any random person having the guts to break in. Does it even make sense that they broke into your room alone?" Layla says. We are in my father's gymnasium, the second largest room in the house.

"None of my things is missing. They were either looking for something they couldn't find, or just warning me."

"Do you think someone knows about us?" She asks, sipping her soda.

"Nobody knows," I reply. We are the least suspicious people, if anything. "But I do know that this person wanted me to know that they visited. They want to put me on edge, and I'll find out who they are."

"Guess what?" She asks, her voice laced with excitement.

"What?"

Her ears perk up in excitement, and something about that action forces a blur memory to the surface of my mind, but it's not clear enough to make much sense.

"Aidan Martinez invited me for The Gerald Bell's party, this weekend." She says, putting emphasis on 'the'.

"That's just perfect, isn't it?" I ask.

"It is. Did you find anything on Finn, anyway?" She places her drink on the ground, and moves herself forward, as if I'm about to share my family's secret.

I pull out my phone and show her the video. Her eyes widen and her mouth drops open. A surge of disbelief and shock rushes through her, causing her muscles to stiffen momentarily. Her eyebrows shoot up, forming deep furrows on her forehead, as her gaze remains fixed on the video playing before her. The color drains from her face, leaving her complexion pale and her cheeks slightly flushed.

"The heck?" She whispers, handing me the phone.

"Bull's-eye, right?" I smirk. The expression on her face slowly and spontaneously changes. Her lips curl up into a satisfied smile, and the creases on her forehead dissolves. Her body loosens up, and I see the glint in her eyes.

"Bull's-eye."

She stands and heads for the door without another word.

"Um, where are you going?" I ask.

"To write Finn's note, what else?" She winks at me, and I roll my eyes.

Calling Layla immediately after discovering the break-in was an impulsive decision, which I slightly regret. For all I know, she might have been the one. But she was in school, at the time, so that rules out the idea. The fact that I have no suspicions yet, makes me mad. Could it have been Roselle or Andrew? They have been my parents all my life, and one thing I truly like about them is that despite how nosy they seem to be, most times, they understand boundaries. Although Andrew does, a bit more than Roselle, I doubt any of them did.

***

"Where's Elliot?" I ask

"He said he wouldn't make it. He's out golfing with his dad." She replies.

"You should get a larger sofa, if you're going to keep having us come here everytime something comes up."

"I will, soon," she says, straightening out the already neat sheet of printed paper on the transparent glass table. She hands me the paper, and I read it out.