🖇️ Chapter 9

Just when you think it can't get any better, it does. With Bertha on my side, getting my revenge will become a twisted delight. We just have to get done with the second circle, like she calls them, then we'll acsend toward the golden circle, find Bella Drew - wherever in the world she's hiding - and destroy her. I'll make her writhe in agony and make her blood spill, as she pleads for mercy. How delightful.

"What's up with you lately? I saw you talk to that girl the other day." Elliot says, creasing his forehead as he inches closer to me.

"Oh, it's nothing." I say, as I make a stop by my locker. We got our lockers just beside each other, as we resumed almost at the same time.

"Lay, I can tell something's up. There's nothing wrong with letting me know. I've been watching you." He tilts his head to the side while squinting his eyes, as though that alone will intimidate me enough to spill.

"I told you, Elliott, stick to what you know." I say, and as I start hopping away, he calls back at me. "I'd advise you to stay away from those people. Stop trying to play detective, some mysteries just can't be solved." I stop dead in my tracks and turn back to him, wide-eyed.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I mean. You both do. I'm your friend, and I don't want you to get hurt." He's missing his beautiful, warm smile, and it hurts a little.

"Let's meet at my house after school?" I say, and it sounds more like a question. He just nods and walks away.

***

It's lunch time and we still haven't been able to figure out who was poisoned. I'm not sure if Bertha has, but I haven't, so I pick up my phone and send her a text: Any leads??  She doesn't reply as quickly as I want her to, and I'm losing patience. As if on cue, I receive a text back from her: How dumb are you? Check their table, who's missing?

I internally scream curses at myself. Their table had initially been reduced by June Archer and Ava Beckett, but there's only three members present; Milo Tristen, Isla Rowan, and Finn Logan. Was she right? Was Graham Zachary poisoned? He's the only member of the soccer team from the second circle, so it was either him, or a member of the golden circle. I shove a handful of fries in my mouth as I spot Bertha on an empty table at the far end of the cafeteria. She doesn't, as much as spare a glance in my direction, much less, at anyone else.

***

Bertha and I didn't breathe a word to each other at school. It's her unspoken rule: to never approach or be approached. She only stalks and observes. Elliot and I are walking to my house, together, and he doesn't seem the least bit delighted by the idea.

"Could've just let me get us a driver." He sulks.

"Don't be silly, it's not that far, anyway." I playfully shove him.

"Easy for you to say." He doesn't even look at me, and I sigh in defeat. I've known him for two weeks, and it's been easy to warm up to him. He's genuinely interested in my well-being, and I can't help but be fascinated by how easily that table turned. I initially thought he was annoyingly nosy, but he's not. He's actually really quiet and caring; another perk of having him around.

"How much do you know?" I dare to ask.

"I know that you and Bertha are somehow involved with the happenings in school. I figured it out that day, when June and Ava were being expelled. She smiled - too widely for someone who is buried in the corners of non-existence - and the fact that you spoke to her made me suspicious of you. You're the first person I've seen her actually talk to, in my two weeks here. I may not be as smart, but I pay close attention too, and I'm great at putting puzzle pieces together - it's my strong forte." I let my shoulders slump, as I take in all he said, while praying that no one else saw what he saw, the way he did.