19 - 𝕱𝖎𝖊𝖑𝖉 𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖕 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕬𝖗𝖈𝖍

The quartet spent two days on the Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over rivers, past amber waves of grain. And surprisingly, they weren't attacked once.

"This feels like the calm before a storm," Percy whispered to Holly one night as they watched the hills roll past outside the window.

"A foreboding sense of dread," Holly nodded in agreement as she snacked on a bag of crisps that a vendor had sold them as she passed by.

"In a fancy term, yes." Percy grabbed a newspaper from the passing trolley and flipped it open, his face paled once he saw what was on the paper.

On the front page, Percy's face stared back at them. It had his name and a photo that a tourist had taken as they got off the Greyhound bus the night of the explosion.

He had a wild look in his eyes, Riptide was a blur in his hands. The caption read: Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy may be travelling with three teenage accomplices. His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture.

"Don't worry," Annabeth told Percy as she eyed the paper. "Mortal police could never find us." But she didn't sound so sure.

He spent the rest of the day pacing the length of the train, but eventually, he fell asleep.

"Is this going to be a problem?" Holly asked Annabeth for her expert opinion, passing over the paper.

It was only her and Annabeth, Grover had left to find a lavatory while Percy was fast asleep on the seat across from them.

"Of course," Annabeth sighed. "As soon as someone sees Percy and alerts the media, our mission will be even harder especially if Hades finds out we're after him."

"Well, it's impossible to assume that he doesn't know already."

"He hardly keeps up with mortal business,"

"Unless it concerns his well being, which with our mission, it does. If we discover that he has the lightning bolt and report it to Zeus, you think he'll let us off with a free pass?"

"No." Annabeth hummed, she stared at the paper again for a few minutes before ripping it apart and getting up to stuff it in a bin.

While she was gone, Holly turned to Percy. He was turning in his sleep again, muttering something that Holly could hardly hear.

Against her better judgement, she got up and kneeled down in front of Percy. She glanced behind her, neither Grover or Annabeth were coming back. She turned back to Percy, leaning closer as he mumbled once more.

"I won't help you," He mumbled, his face scrunching up in a frown. "I won't help you. I won't-"

He took a deep breath, a loose strand fell onto his eyelids, prompting Holly to tuck it away. But as the tip of her finger grazed his forehead, he stirred awake.

Holly was frozen in place, even as Percy opened his eyes drearily and squinted at her.

"Holly?" He asked, looking at a shell shocked Holly. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing." Holly got up and went back to her seat as he sat up, just in time as another vendor passed by.

"Coffee, Tea?" He asked, Holly nodded and grabbed a few coins from her bag in exchange for tea.