03 - 𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝕲𝖗𝖞𝖋𝖋𝖎𝖓𝖉𝖔𝖗???

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a stern face, long nose staring down at them. She wasn't Miss Trunchbull scary- a character from a muggle book named Matilda - she was...intimidating, and not Aunt Andromeda scary. This witch was scarier.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

Ah! So this was Professor McGonagall. She suddenly remembered all the stories Tonks would write to her about Professor McGonagall, the Gryffindor Head of House.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door wide.

The entrance hall was so big you could have fit ten cottages in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

Although, it was dim. She quickly wondered how her uncle managed to survive seven years in this place, she sees him as the personification of the sun. Free and bright, and absolutely nothing like this.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Holly could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from the large doorway to the right, the rest of the school must already be there- but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall.

They crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Weasley's smudged nose.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly."

Then, she left the chamber.

Hannah's whole body shivered, "I'm afraid to wonder what will happen if we don't."

"She's not one to cross, all right." Ernie Macmillan whispered.

"That's Professor McGonagall," Holly joined in. "You'd have to have a death wish if you want to cross her."

Terry Boot shrugged, fixing his colourless tie as he 'smartened' himself up. Holly and Hannah shared an amused look, Hannah snorted as she pretended to fix her pigtails.

As they watched Terry Boot practically polish his shoes, the oddest, most amusing thing happened. Several people around them screamed as about twenty ghosts streamed through the back wall.

Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at the first years. They seemed to be arguing.