01 - 𝕱𝖎𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝕾𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗

The air crackled with lightning, it made the hair on her arm stand up as they ran.

"Almost there, almost there," she heard Grover mutter. "Come on! We're almost there!"

He was right, in the distance she can see a light. Golden, warm light. She glanced behind her, a mistake. As she did, her foot caught on a rather thick root jutting out from the ground.

She tripped, falling face flat on the ground. A pair of arms pulled her up by her armpits. "Let's go!" Luke shouted, but she yelped as he placed her down.

"What's wrong?" Annabeth asked as she ran to their side. "Is she hurt, Luke?"

"It's my foot," Holly said, tightly holding onto the tall boy's arm. "I think it's broken."

"Luke!" Thalia shouted, she swung her shield and pushed a hellhound back.

"Go," Holly said, clenching her jaw in pain.

From the top of the hill, Grover shouted. "Come one! Just over the border!"

"Luke?" Annabeth cried.

"Luke!" Thalia shouted.

Holly gripped his arm as she quivered, "Luke."

As he looked at Holly's pained face, Annabeth's panicked eyes and Thalia's endangered presence, he felt lost. He felt stuck, he didn't know what to do.

"Thalia! Luke!" Grover bleated, jumping up and down and flailing his arms.

Luke closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Come on, dad." He whispered. "Please."

In one breath, he swept Holly in his arms and grabbed Annabeth's hand. "Let's go, Thalia!"

Thalia slashed her sword at another monster before she broke free, tripping and stumbling as she caught up with the three.

They were halfway up the hill when they noticed Grover had disappeared, behind them followed the sound of thunder and howls.

"Get down!" Thalia shouted, Luke whipped his head around just as Thalia crashed against them.

Splinters of wood rained down on them as a tree went up in a column of flame. A low growl resounded behind them, Thalia got up and procured her shield.

"Annabeth?" Holly called, she crawled to the girl who helped her up. "Are you okay?"

Annabeth nodded, she glanced behind Holly and her face turned grim. "Thalia?" She whispered.

"Go!" Thalia shouted. "I'll hold them off."

I'll hold them off.

I'll hold them off.

I'll hold them off.

4 years later...

The alarm clock rang loudly as it struck seven in the morning, now eleven year old Holly Black groaned and buried herself within the confines of her blanket. Warm and dark, as opposed to the chill air in her room and the bright sun beaming in through the window.

A few minutes later and she's drowned out the sound of the alarm clock, she was falling aimlessly back to a peaceful slumber-

Wham! The bedroom door opened and a set of hurried footsteps came in, Holly groaned even louder as her Aunt Andromeda pulled her blankets down and resetted the alarm clock.

"Breakfast is ready, dear." Aunt Andromeda said. "Big day!"

She was out of the room the next second, Holly took a deep breath and stared at the ceiling for a good few minutes contemplating her life.