33

Rip, Baby and Lloyd rode up to the house, where John was sitting at the porch. He stood as they approached, walking down the steps and making his way toward them,

"How many total?" He asked

"It's not good, Daddy" Baby replied, pulling out her small notepad, opening it "so far we found three-hundred-sixty more. They dropped bale's all through the valley"

"If we push that herd down here, they're gonna get into that clover" Rip added "I say we move them up the pass. Through the mountains"

"That's an awful rough trail" Lloyd said

"We don't have much of a choice if we want what's left of the herd to survive" Baby replied

". . They're right" John said, nodding slightly "we'll take them over the pass. That goddamn clover's gonna take root. Next spring, it'll be worse"

". . . Not of we burn it" she suggested "a controlled fire would take care of the clover just fine"

"We'll bring up water trucks" he added "I'll have the fire department out here, just in case. I don't see any other way" looking at Rip "burn it"

"Yes, sir" he nodded

"Best to do it tomorrow" Baby commented "we do it now, Smokey Bear will have our asses for sure"

"Yeah, no shit" Lloyd chuckled

When they got to the stables, the woman was the first to dismount, grabbing Spirit's reins and leading him inside.

"Go on back to the house" Rip instructed, taking the reins from her "get some food in you. I heard your stomach the entire way back"

"Ha-ha-ha" she replied, sarcasm in her voice "by the way, were you the one to suggest . .?" lifting the necklace she wore

"He asked what jewelry you liked" shrugging slightly "but noticed you only wore that shit for something important. I mentioned you don't prefer expensive jewelry, but simple and rustic"

"Gotta admit, he did good picking that out" Lloyd added

"I feel like I should get him something" Baby said

"Do whatever you want" Rip chuckled "now get your ass to the house"

"Yes, sir" giving him a playful salute

He shook his head slightly as she turned around, walking away from the stables, and making her way toward the house, already having an idea of what to get for Ryan.

"No horses today, Colby" Baby said as she walked by him the next morning

"I hate this fucking thing" he muttered, walking over to a four-wheeler

"Suck it up, buttercup" a smirk on her lips

But her smirk fell when a warning croak from Sebastian filled the air as he flew over them, flying back to the sign after a moment. A sleek silver car drove by, pulling up to the house, causing her to walk over to her father and Rip,

"You expecting anyone?" John asked, looking at her

"Daddy, I ain't got any friends outside this ranch" brutal honesty in her voice

"Stay with the wranglers" he instructed

She didn't question him, always trusting his judgement, which caused her to give him a small nod, watching as Rip quickly mounted his horse and rode toward the house,

"Where the hell is he going?" Colby asked, watching Rip as well

"He shouldn't take long" Baby replied "we'll wait for him to get back. Finish setting up?"

"Yes, ma'am" giving her a small nod, walking away

X

They didn't get to burn the field that day, mostly because there was still some things that needed to be taken care of before that could happen. Which gave Baby a chance to run into town and get something for Ryan that she had her eye on. It was simple like he necklace, nothing too expensive, but something he could wear every day if he chose to. But before she could make it to the bunkhouse, a hand placed itself over her mouth, muffling the shocked gasp that emitted from her as she was pulled to the side of the barn. Baby gained her footing, raising one and slamming the heel down on the town of her attacker, a males groan filling her ears, quickly getting out of his hold and throwing a hard punch to his stomach without even thinking. The figure clutched where he was hit, falling to the floor with another groan, her eyes widening as she covered her mouth with her hand.

"Oh, my god, I'm so sorry" panic in her voice as she hurried over him

"Nope" Ryan grunted "my fault. Shouldn't have done that"

"Why did you do that?" helping him to his feet

"I haven't seen you all day" he shrugged as he was leaned against the wall of the barn "I didn't think that would happen though" rubbing the spot where he hit "you got a mean swing, darlin'" a chuckle emitting from him

She cupped his cheek in one hand, leaning up and claiming his lips with her own, Ryan instantly complying, his hands moving from his stomach, grasping her hips and pulling her closer to him, forgetting about the pain completely.

"Better?" She asked

"Still hurts" he smirked

Baby lightly rolled her eyes, leaning in and claiming his lips again, her arms wrapping around his neck, a content sigh emitting from her nose. She had missed him, just as he had missed her.

"You weren't here when I got back" he muttered, trailing his lips down to her neck "where'd you go?"

"I went into down and got you something" her voice soft, eyes closed as she felt his scruffy cheek scratch against her skin, but it was something she had grown used to

"Really?" lightly nipping at her neck

"Yep" pulling back, placing another kiss to his lips

Baby reached into her coat pocket, pulling out a box and holding it up in between them as she pulled back completely, Ryan gently taking it with a smile, kissing her lips once more.

"It's nothing fancy" her other arm falling as she took a small step back

She watched as he opened the box, a small smile forming on his lips at the sight of a men's brown leather bracelet, made of real leather, but Baby got it at a discount price when she got herself a new pair of her favorite boots.

"I love it, darlin" honesty in his voice

Baby stood by one of the ATVs as the wranglers poured gasoline in the field, on and around the cattle, which took some time before they got their torches, John walking over to them, his hands in his pockets.

"Everything alright, Daddy?" Baby asked

". . Burn it" he replied

"Let's go!" Rip called out "light it up!"

Two people had flamethrowers, which lit up as soon as Rip gave the command, setting fire to the field before walking over toward the others, a heavy sigh emitting from Baby as it burned.