THE ART OF FLEEING - CHAPTER FIVE

Start from the beginning

    Callon's eyes widen in surprise as redness clutters his cheeks. "No, no! Quiet, human! I did not say nor think such things! I would never, ever be so foolish as to disrespect Master Dorian's..." His voice trails off as he clears his throat, unable to finish his sentence.

    This is quite entertaining to say the least. Who knew I had a thing for bullying awkward vampire guards? Well, I know now.

    "Wow, Callon, you think he's stupid too? You're so brave to voice such opinions in his presence!" I continue teasing poor Callon.

He lets out a long, frustrated sigh before retorting my statements once again, "I do not believe Master Dorian is stupid. Foolish, maybe but stupid, no."

    "Why's he foolish?"

His surprising honesty piques my curiosity, so, of course, I have to press him further on the matter of Dorian's foolishness. The extent of Callon's honesty comes to an end there though. His lips are sealed shut in a sort of vow of silence to appease Dorian. Still, I'm dead set on hearing his answer, and, apparently, so is Dorian.

    "Answer the human, Callon. I would love to be enlightened on why I'm foolish," Dorian urges a very reluctant and regretful Callon.

    "I...I only think you're foolish because you have not heeded the doctor's orders to remain in bed. I understand that you have plenty of work to do, but your health is far more important than a few territory negotiations or law enactments."

    "You should've chained him to his bed then!" I shout, thoroughly disappointed in Callon for not having a pair of balls. If not for that, I wouldn't have been rudely awakened.

    "If you ever dare to do such a thing, I will break your neck. Understand, Callon?"

    "Hey! Don't be such a dick to Callon! He's right, you kn–..."

My short moment of kindness toward Callon is lost in a scream when I'm suddenly thrown off of Dorian's shoulder and to the ground. All of the harsh impact is taken by my tailbone. It aches tremendously to the point where tears prick at my eyes. For a moment, Dorian looks down at my scowling face, and it almost appears as if Dorian might just open his mouth to ask if I'm alright, instead he just turns to Callon.

    "Go retrieve the sparring plates."

For someone who never acts like a gentleman, that was the perfect thing to say. Bravo, Dorian! You're officially a certified ass, not that he wasn't one before. It's only now, as I'm glaring up at his stupid face, that I'm taking the liberty to induct him into the asshole hall of fame. His picture will be hung up right next to my sorry excuse for an ex.

Soon, though, Dorian earns his spot as a major ass. After Dorian practically forces Callon to put the sparring plates on me while I desperately try to escape, Dorian couldn't be considered just a plain ass anymore, especially since I'm now in those awful sparring plates.

The plates are made of heavy metal that is scratched and chipped at the sides, most definitely from years upon years of use. Not to mention, the stench of rust and decay clings to it, which is another one of the many reasons why I had been extremely adamant about not wearing them. Unfortunately, Dorian thought it was absolutely necessary for me to be standing clad in that foul-smelling armor. That leads to me attempting to peel off the armor as Callon holds my arms down, pleading for me to be still.

    "How am I supposed to learn how to fight when I can't even move in these things?" I complain, finally ceasing my attempt to break my arms free from Callon's overpowering grip.