Chapter 28

Alexander POV:

Lucian doesn't deserve this. I know he's stubborn and often comes across as angry, but from what I've observed, especially with Isabella, I can tell he loves her deeply. He just doesn't know how to express it.

Despite his efforts, he always seems to fall short. After that day, he became like a heartless man, but today, I saw tears in his eyes. Before it's too late, Isabella needs to know the truth, even though I know I shouldn't be the one to tell her.

Isabella was crying a lot when I was with her in her room. I don't blame her for hating Lucian, as she, too, has a lot going on. But I believe she can change him because she understands him. I took her hand and said, "Bella, come with me," as I led her out of her room.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked.

"To the truth," I replied as we headed upstairs. I saw Lucian there as he recently opened the door, but I didn't question him about it. When we arrived in front of the room, webs were still all over it.

As she looked around, Isabella questioned, "What is this room? Does nobody come here?"

I opened the door, revealing a large portrait of a beautiful girl. "No, this room has been locked for a long time. Nobody goes inside, Lucian doesn't allow anyone to enter," I explained.

"Elena," Isabella said softly, her eyes fixed on the portrait.

Confused, I asked, "What did you say?"

"She is Elena, right?" Isabella asked as she walked over to the portrait.

I frowned, turning to face her. "How do you know her? Did Lucian tell you about all of this?" I wondered. No, he would have told me if he had told her.

"She is my maid," she gestured towards the woman bustling about the room, "she brings me breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She even helps me get dressed." Confusion clouded my thoughts.

Pointing to a portrait on the wall, I inquired, "Bella, are you sure that girl was Elena, and she was this girl?"

"Yes, I am telling the truth, why would I lie?" she retorted.

"But she's dead," I stated matter-of-factly. Bella's expression faltered, and a veil of silence descended upon us. We shared a moment of bewilderment, both trying to make sense of the inexplicable.

"No, what are you saying then? How can I see her? How can she be coming to me?" Bella exclaimed, her eyes darting back to the photograph. "Mother came to me, so this can also happen," she added softly, her gaze dropping. I turned to study her, but her mother had long passed away.

"Explain yourself to me," I demanded, my mind reeling with unanswered questions.

"I will tell you everything from the start, but if she is Elena, who was she to Lucian?" Bella questioned me.

"She's Elena, Lucian's younger sister," I confirmed.

"What? She's Lucian's sister?" Bella's disbelief was palpable.

"Yes, but she was human, a lovely human with a kind heart just like you," I reassured her.

"So what happened, if she is dead, what happened to her?" Bella pressed, her curiosity piqued. I sighed, resigning myself to the task of recounting a tale that spanned centuries.

"Centuries ago, when we were first created, the Moon Goddess, our creator, was also the mother of Lucian, Elena, and Lorenzo, who attacked us on your wedding day. He is Lucian's brother," I began.

"What? That man is Lucian's brother? But if he is, why did he attack?" Bella interrupted, her eyes wide with shock.

"Yes, it all started when"