Chapter 3

John pov:

I will own Isabella and also own the kingdom. I had adored her since my childhood. I have never seen a girl as beautiful as she is.

As I turned 18, I asked my father, who served on the council, to marry me to Bella. He went to ask the king after agreeing, and I was furious when the old man refused. I promise to make Bella mine from that point on.

When I questioned my dad about the reasoning, he replied that Bella was too young to marry and that even as an adult, she would be free to choose who she wanted as her spouse. Since then Bella and I have been spending time together.

She was so innocent to even think that I planned to make her fall in love with me and make me king of Fiore. If that didn't work out, I would be forced to take her as my bride, at which even the king would be powerless.

Then it occurred to me to ask her to marry me on her 20th birthday.

Flashback

As the evening unfolded following Bella's modest birthday celebration, she opted for a quaint gathering with the locals rather than the grandeur of a lavish party.

I found myself waiting outside her room, anticipation building with each passing moment. Suddenly, the soft shuffle of footsteps drew closer, and I glanced up to behold Bella's radiant presence, as captivating as ever, her smile lighting up the corridor.

"Happy birthday, Bella!" I greeted her warmly, extending a carefully wrapped gift towards her.

"Thank you, but why weren't you in town with us?" she inquired. "They baked the most delicious cake, I almost didn't want to share it with you for missing out," she teased, her words sending a flutter through my chest.

Her simple desire for companionship and cake rather than extravagant gifts or celebrations was endearing, and I couldn't help but chuckle at her jest.

"My apologies, Bella. I had pressing matters to attend to," I explained, hoping she would understand the reasons behind my absence amidst her special day.

Seeking a moment of privacy, I gestured to the guards standing watch nearby, requesting their absence. With a respectful bow, they complied and retreated, leaving Bella and me alone in the quiet hallway.

Bella's expression shifted, confused and intrigued as she carefully unwrapped the gift I had presented her.

Seeing her delighted smile as she beheld the contents warmed my heart, the joy in her eyes reflecting the beauty of the peacock-colored dress nestled within the wrapping.

"Oh my goodness, this is exquisite," she exclaimed. Grateful that she appreciated my gesture, I returned her smile, feeling a sense of contentment wash over me.

"Go ahead, try it on," I encouraged her, nodding towards her chamber. "Then meet me in the garden. I have something else for you," I added, anticipation bubbling as she disappeared into her room to change.

I hurried through the winding paths of the castle garden. My hands were slick with nervous sweat, and my heart seemed to pound a rhythm of its own against my ribcage.

I paused, inhaling deeply, attempting to steady myself before the moment I had been eagerly anticipating arrived.

Footsteps echoed softly, heralding her arrival. With bated breath, I watched as she entered the garden, her presence drawing my attention like a magnet. She was a vision of elegance in her off-the-shoulder dress, her delicate skin illuminated by the soft glow of the evening light.