Chapter 2: Holding Dear

Marcelle's POV:

When I awoke the morning after staying in Elizabeth's house, I was stiflingly hot.

I sat up and stretched, noticing that she was still sleeping. Her beautiful face was the portrait of stillness as I watched her ample chest rise and fall rhythmically.

Getting out of bed, I padded softly across the room and opened the doors leading to Elizabeth's balcony. I left them slightly ajar, the slight breeze cooling the air.

The red and golden curtains billowed a little; and whether it was the wind, heat or the sudden burst of sunlight rushing into the room, I do not know, but at that moment my friend awoke.

She saw I was already up and smiled sleepily, "Good morning darling."

I smiled back at her, dimly aware of the urge to go and stroke her hair and send her back to sleep. "Good morning, did you sleep well?"

She nodded and came to join me on my bed, putting one dainty hand on my shoulder. I looked at her and once again happened to catch a glimpse of her breasts; neatly encased within her nightgown.

I felt a shock run through my whole body, and I must have visibly jumped, for Elizabeth said to me, "Are you quite alright?"

"I am, perhaps 'tis a cold coming along," I tried to brush off my odd behaviour. "What are we to do today Elizabeth?"

She thought for a moment and then said, "Let us do luncheon with Tom and John." I saw her eyes gleam with excitement and all of a sudden, I decided I wanted her all to myself.

"No!" I said a bit too forcefully.

The passion in her eyes was extinguished immediately and they grew wide with hurt. "Why not? Do you not like John, because I like Tom very much."

I could not explain to her what I was feeling. Whilst I hated myself for being so selfish, it felt like someone had just ripped my heart out.

Did I like John? I tried to picture him like I'd been picturing Elizabeth recently; naked. I imagined him laying completely naked in bed, waiting for me and I felt desire rush up my spine. I did like John very much, and if he wanted to marry me then I would accept. So why, oh why could I not stop thinking about Elizabeth in these sinful ways?

"See, you do like John! your eyes have gone all dreamy just thinking about him! Are you nervous about meeting with him?" Elizabeth interjected my thoughts with her gentle voice, but I noticed it seemed slightly strained.

I ignored that and just nodded, unable to neaten my thoughts. I so wanted to tell her how I was feeling about her, but this was Elizabeth! How would she react, I'm quite sure she has never had a sinful thought in her life! I had known her for most of my life; we used to bathe together as children, so how could I tell her that I wanted to bathe with her now? This was the only secret I have ever kept from her and it was burning a hole in my mouth. I fear the devil has gotten into my bones!

Elizabeth's POV:

Marcelle's black hair stayed unmoving and neat, despite the gentle draught floating in and I reflected on how poised she always seemed; unlike me who seemed to be constantly in a fluster.

I felt my heart beat faster as I saw the look of raw wanting in her eyes when I mentioned John. I felt my voice become strained as I struggled to stop myself choking on emotion. I did not realize how much of a state I had gotten myself into, until I realised I was fighting back tears. These were not angry or sad tears though, they were tears of guilt because I could see how perfect John was for her.

Marcelle was French and so is John's Mother, they both had the same sense of humor and their looks complimented one another too. I knew how selfish I was being, but in my head, they could not be together.

I asked her if she was nervous about meeting John and after a pause, she replied, "Yes, I suppose I am very nervous. Would you help me Lizzie? You are so very fashionable, do help me to prepare myself, I do not know what to wear!"

I blinked, she rarely called me Lizzie anymore, it was always Elizabeth now. That simple word, for some reason, mad my heart soar and I threw my arms around her neck saying, "Of course I'll help you my darling!"

She also put her arms around the small of my back, but when I went to pull away, she did not let go. I kept my hands around her and lay my head on her shoulder, shifting around so my whole body was laying against her. She began to stroke my long, golden blonde hair that was tumbling down her back and breasts.

It never occurred to me at the time, how strange this was, but in hindsight I understand. We stayed like this for a very long time...