02| The best friend

I pulled my luggage outside the airport, my parents were so excited about me returning home that they'd been there waiting for four hours

    I pulled my luggage outside the airport, my parents were so excited about me returning home that they'd been there waiting for four hours. It took longer than I expected to get my doctorate degree in veterinary medicine, the plan was always to come back home and work at my favorite clinic in town but it was harder to convince myself to come back after everything happened.

My dad's car pulled in the front, and my mom dropped everything on her lap and practically leaped out. Her arms wrapped around the back of my neck while my hands wrapped around her waist, she inhaled loudly like she could finally breathe again with me in her arms. Both our matching hair brushed against each other, you couldn't tell which one was mine and which one was hers.

"I've missed you so much, Lo." She whispered, her voice cracking.

"I've missed you too, mama."

My dad wrapped his arms around us, his lips pressed against my forehead. My mom once stood in the same spot when she returned back to my dad all those years ago, now their daughter is returning back home to them, ironic if you ask me.

"Don't ever leave us again." My dad mumbled under his breath, and my head simply nodded.

After we hugged for a few more seconds my dad threw everything in the trunk, and we blasted the music and AC on the way back to my childhood home. Every road, every patch of grass, every house and building felt familiar. It brought back memories I wanted to bury but it also brought back really good ones with my best friends, I lost contact with everyone that night. Glenn and I talked a couple of months before I left for college but I eventually cut him out of my life not because I wanted to but because I was embarrassed, he had seen me at my worst and that made me feel very vulnerable.

I haven't spoken to my other best friend, Blair not since prom night, the last time I heard about her she was going to some fancy school in New York for fashion design but we haven't tried contacting each other, I'm pretty she thought I cut her out of life but in all honesty I was waiting for her to call me.

We arrived at the house, and my mom and dad had the house totally decorated with a welcome home banner and yellow balloons. My family stood outside with gifts and flowers, I've missed this so much that my body was physically longing for my family. After catching up with my family for a little bit I started getting ready for an interview, my flight was only two hours long and my favorite vet clinic agreed to interview me the same day.

I just threw on some slightly oversized white jeans and a cute yellow knitted tube top while slicking my hair back in a ponytail. I kept my makeup simple with just my eyebrow flared back, a little bit of blush, my everyday peachy lip gloss, and finished with mascara.

I practically jumped inside my car, this was the first time being in here since I'd left and everything inside this car felt weird. There were so many memories in this shitty car of mine, I looked around and all I felt was this deep pain inside my chest one I couldn't shake off.