Chapter 16

Two weeks later

It was becoming more and more of a success. The small group of heroes started out in a humble way. Yui made the suit for Gwen and while she could probably join her, she did not. The prospect of violence did not always sit well with her. She was not against protecting people, far from it, but doing the act yourself was something different. The punching, the dodging, and jumping around.

In the end, Yui and Peter observed Gwen going through the city from HQ by using CCTV but also the webcam on her suit. Swinging left and right with the web shooters made by Peter. The project he worked on was incredible and very handy which made her truly like a spider. From her wrist, she could shoot out a sticky yet very strong web-like strand and swing. Peter was utterly proud of it and just to make everyone included, he made a pair for everyone.

Peter and Yui were not very good at using it. But it was fun and perhaps it will come in handy in the future. What they did do together over the course of the two weeks was self-defense courses. It gave them all security and a sense of calm when they watched Gwen work in the night.

For Yui, it eased her when she knows Gwen could defend herself despite her super strength and agility. As for Peter and Yui, it was mostly so they could spring into action if it was necessary. After all, they would make enemies who could become dangerous not only for Gwen but also for themselves.

The group, mostly Gwen, decided to deal with small-time criminals first. Robbers of small-time shops, thieves in busy streets, or those that harassed women and men at night. The type of crime that is difficult for the police to handle with efficiency. And it brought Gwen a lot of cloud, the good type of cloud.

The police on the other hand were less enthusiastic about the appearance of Gwen. First, they called her the white vigilante, but Gwen was not a fan of the name. Similar to her dislike of Spider-Woman. When she came back after noticing the nickname, she started to think about one herself. With irritation as Yui kept teasing her. Even so, she eventually settled on a name.

Ghost-Spider.

It suited her, to be honest. She never stayed at the scene for long. Only staying long enough to make sure the police would take the criminal with them and lock them up. Her suit somewhat resembles a ghostly image so the police took the name and ran with it.

As for Yui, her days were filled with watching Gwen scitter around town to help people, doing her art for their business as they still need to make a living, and helping Peter out where she could. Which was not on many occasions, but two extra hands were not unwelcome. These crime-fighting days did come with the disadvantage of being away from her room during the weekend.

It made her miss the food from her parents so far. They didn't smell nice when she came back on Monday so she had to discard them. Yui didn't say anything to her parents so as to not hurt their feelings. But she did have more dreams over the week. More images and flashes of what she already saw but sharper. As if her mind became clearer and clearer and capable of focusing on these memories.

Yui didn't see much more of who the people were. They have faces she has never seen before. Radiant bodies, voice so soft and soothing it felt ethereal in many ways. It was so otherworldly to Yui that she was beginning to believe they came from somewhere else. Another world so to speak which makes her question her sanity as she knows of no other world than Earth. Whatever the dreams are and where they are taking place, she will figure it out. With Gwen next to her.

"Yui! You okay?" Gwen asked bringing Yui back to the current time.

"Huh, yeah, just spaced out for a moment. What's up?"

"The bell? You know, your free meal on Sunday?"

"Oh! Yes! I'll get it. You inspect my drawing and see if it is ready for sending," Yui responds getting up from her chair and going down the stair to the delivery guy.