EPILOGUE

●MONAMI●

They say marriage changes everything for a woman... this has been both true and not true in my case... Karan and I moved in together 6 months after I got my certificate from the academy and 2 months later he proposed me for marriage...

It felt the most surreal moment of my life and I didn't delay in saying yes.

His parents accepted me whole heartedly and they like me a lot. They ensure to keep a regular check on me just like their son... They even offered me to help to open my own clinic... which I refused because I like working in a hospital more as it gives me opportunity to interact with more patients..

Our wedding functions were full of fun and love ... Karan's parents tried to ensure that I don't miss my parents. They even did my Kanyadaan. I found a new family.

It has been almost a year to our marriage... tomorrow is our anniversary.

Mom and Dad informed me that they tried their best but can't fly down here as they are not getting an off. I kind off feel they are doing it to give us privacy on our special day. What they don't get is on this special day I even got them as family so we should celebrate me finding family with the while clan.

Since family dinner is out of question now I plan to arrange a dinner date for just us in a farmhouse, followed by a night of privacy in tent.

I already have the gift ready for him.. though he has equal contribution in it.. and it is more special to me because I will have another person to call my own... you guessed right I am pregnant.

I also came to know yesterday when I suddenly got sick in the hospital.. the doctor said I was 6 weeks pregnant...

Karan and I had talked about kids many times and everytime decided we were too busy and left it to happen when it will happen... I was honestly nervous when I came to know about it at first but then when I heard the heartbeat I knew this is what I want... I will be able to manage both my kid and job simultaneously and I was sure Karan will help me as much as possible...

We will both raise our kid in the best way possible..

Karan comes back home at 7 pm and informs me that an urgent mission has come back and they leave tomorrow at 4 am. Karan has gone to a lot of missions in the past year and each time I can't help but worry about his safety... I still haven't got used to the feelings and I don't think I ever will...

I guess he has forgotten about the anniversary due to the mission planning which is ok because I do understand his workload.

***

Next morning Karan is ready 3:30 am. Our house is at a 15 minute drive from the academy.

"Take care.." I tell him

"You too.." He kisses the top of my forehead..

"Come soon.."

"It is not a difficult mission promise..."

"You say this everytime.."

He chuckles... "I love you.."

"I love you too.." I see him off ...

***

The doorbell rings in the afternoon and mom and dad arrive..

"You guys were not going to come.." I ask them surprised..

"Karan called and told us that he was going to a mission so we flew down. Since he is not there to celebrate his union with you... someone should.." Mom replies..

"It was a day of our union too so us celebrating is completely valid.."

"Very true" Mom wraps me into a hug...

***

The doorbell rings in the evening and I see a tired Karan standing there with a bouquet of carnations..

"I told you it is not a difficult mission" he winks at me.. "Happy Anniversary" he hands me the flower bouquet.

"You remembered.."

"Of course"

"I thought you forgot due to the mission"

"I keep my personal and professional life separate.. also now come one wish me back.."

"Happy Anniversary my love"

"Who is it Monami..??" Mom calls from inside ... just at the moment when I am about to ask Karan to come inside..

"Mom Karan.."

Mom and Dad come outside and Karan takes their blessings...

"Get ready then all of you let's go for anniversary dinner.. I will book somewhere nice.." I announce

"Array tum donon bache jaao hum kya karenge jaakar..."

"Mom dad please I have an announcement to make and I wanted you both to also come with us... main pehle bhi jaati thi aap log aao lekin aapne chhuti na milne ka jhooth bol diya..."

***

I wear a navy blue dress with a small slit at the thigh.. I pair it up with shoes because now heels are out of questions... and wear minimal jewellery with small earrings and a small necklace..

I called the same farmhouse and asked them to change the reservation from a table of two a table of four as family vacation.. and baby announcement.. I even offered them to pay extra due to the last minute changes...

***

A table was set in the centre with four chairs and on one side was a pink tent and a blue one on the other side... It was not a gender reveal.. and it is not even allowed probably they were too inspired.

Karan and I take the blue tent while mom and dad take the pink one...

We order our food and I refuse to drink alcohol which surprises everyone because I am very much of wine person.. and because of me everyone decides to forgo alcohol..

After we finish our food carrying out a discussion on various topics...

"I have an announcement to make.." I stand up..

"Go ahead..." Karan says...

"Did you get a promotion in the hospital..?" Mom says...

"Did you finally decide to open a clinic..??" Dad says...

"Yes mom I have got a promotion not professionally but personally... and not only me all of you have got a promotion..."

Everyone gives me a confused look..

"We are going to have a new addition to our family... I am pregnant..."

All of them gasp..

"Omg congratulations bacha.." Mom says..

"Congrats kids, you my wife and even me.." Dad jumps out of excitement..

I laugh..

"I don't know how to react.." Karan says but I can see his eyes getting all teary..

I hug him "Congratulations to be papa..."

"Congratulations mama to be.." he replies just jumbling my sentence...and I smile...

"Welcome to the world champ.." he says putting a hand on my stomach..."I promise to take care of you and mumma forever.."

Karan locks his eyes with mine and the world seems to stop...

■■■

Here we are at the end.

A big thanks to everyone who has been a part if this journey. 🫂

Loads of love to all ❤️