Chapter 15

"The party is in an hour." Niccolo said while pouring a coffee.

I hummed before taking the cup from his hands.

I was being wary of him since we had landed here. He kept going out frequently to 'retrieve his designer suit' from his friend.

I could sense something big going on— I hoped it to be something that didn't kill me. Not just yet.

I wanted something to kill me— I couldn't deny an event that gave me such luxury. But I couldn't until I made sure Tati was fine for the rest of her life.

And now that my aunts had interfered and Nick was subtle about something, I could only imagine that either he was here to kill me because of my parents or that my aunts were using him to get information about me.

Either way. I was being betrayed if it was either of those scenarios.

"Then again, I'd prefer death over the betrayal of someone I trust." I mumbled.

"What?" He looked at me.

"Nothing, just that I prefer cream over sugar." I smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind next time." He said, still seeming a little confused.

We had separate rooms booked for ourselves and only got together in my room for work or food.

I didn't pay any attention to his subtle suspicious behaviour anymore and started sighing more often instead.

I started to engross myself with the business numbers that showed last month's loss.

"There is a decline in our fashion range." He pointed at one of the columns.

"Why? I don't see why our classic collection is working better than the latest releases." I mumbled.

"Street fashion. Apparently, street style is much more preferred by the target customers." He smiled.

"Street style it is then. Let's get it on board. Some Asian companies from different countries— make sure they aren't a major large scale. Also keep the current plans going, I feel they're going to be helpful. "

The door was knocked after I finished. Niccolo stood up but I beat him to it.

"Oh— I'll get it. This is my booked room. Rumours can be a problem." I chuckled and opened the door.

I immediately step outside, "A minute please, Nick."

"Sure, honey." He replied.

'Honey?' My heart started beating faster as I closed the door behind me and saw Niccolo infront of me, albeit, extremely dishevelled.

"Hi... Chris... what are you doing here?" I asked in an attempt to cover up.

"Just business. Heard you were here for the party too." He said changing his voice.

"I'm actually here with my secretary." I added, "Why don't we have coffee later? And have a chat maybe?" I looked at his slightly bruised face and gently placed my palm over his cheek.

"Sure," He closed his eyes and looked back at me, "Did I ever tell you I had a brother? He wanted me to set him up with your sister."

"Wrong!" A knife stabbed me from the side, "I wanted you to set me up with her 'Chris'!" He laughed.

"Fernando! No!" He tried to stop him but failed.

I pulled the door to myself making, said Fernando, wince in pain,  as his arm got stuck.

A few people got out and one of them called the police.

I made sure not to touch the knife and noticed that Niccolo had immediately shoved something into the lookalike's mouth.

He immediately fell to the ground.

I felt the sting as I felt dizzy and soon darkness hit me, after I muttered, "Niccolo..." as I slipped down against the wall.

"No!" He fell to his knees and fumbled for his phone, "Merda!" I could hear him swear and almost chuckled at the thought of rubbing my habit to him.

The next thing I saw was the ambulance roof before passing out again.

Then the next time I gained consciousness was in the hospital bed.

I tried to move but immediately regretted and audibly screamed in pain, gaining the nurse's attention.

"Do not move, ma'am." She said while inclining the bed, before going out and sending the police.

"Are you healthy enough for questioning? Do you understand English?" He asked.

I wanted to take an opportunity and shook my head in a negative, "Non Inglese."

"Call that man in. We'll just have a translator." He spoke to the other officer and he came back with Nick.

"Ask her about the incident." He said to Nick.

"Ti sei svelgiliata, senti bene?"

"Ah... sì. Ma ho bisogno di una spiegazione." I almost threatened him but managed to compose myself and sound professional, "Digli che ero ignaro e che tu eri lì per caso. Io coprirò il resto."

He nodded at them and asked them to walk outside the room with him.

I scanned around the room and figured it was a VIP room by the looks of it. There was very little giving to what part of the city I was in or what hospital I was at.

I sat there until I couldn't rack in the clues anymore and called for a nurse instead.

"Ciao," She smiled, "Hai famme?"

I nodded.

She seemed in her late forties or early fifties. I couldn't believe they sent an Italian nurse.

The next conversation between us was about the weather and such while she served me some food.

I managed to ask her how I managed to reach this place was and she seemed pitiful.

Her answer: It was an emergency call by a hotel staff and that I'd come in an ambulance with Nick.

Apparently, Nick shouted in Italian to the doctor as she saw from the floor above and they rushed me in for surgery.

My heart felt heavy for some reason.

What if it was actually Niccolo instead of his brother that tried to kill me? Why did he not tell me he had a brother?

I had so many questions but my head and body ached more, so I decided to take a nap instead and told the nurse that I'd like not to be disturbed.

I looked at the time and frowned immediately and yelled for Nick.

He burst in, "What!?"

"When is the party?" I asked— almost hissed.

"Tomorrow," He relaxed and sat down, "My brother wanted to take you hostage. I did some digging with Marco's help— he boarded the flight with you and stole information directly from the company archives."

I waved my hand, "The comapny archives are useless. He hired someone inside the comapny too. How did he know that we're coming to the party and how did he manage to recruit your brother?"

"If my guesses are correct he'll send a few more people..." He rubbed his hands together, "And I'll make sure they pay for what they've tried to even imagine."

"Will you take a bribe to kill me?" I asked.

"Never! Even if my own life depended on it." He came beside me and kissed my forehead gently, "Rest well. I'll ask my old friends to help me." He smiled.

I didn't know if it was a mere facade or if he was telling the truth... but I wanted to hold onto it very desperately.

A hope that someone cared.

Cared enough to not let me die.