I had met Thorne and Ronan, but this would be the first time I would be introduced to everyone at once. Emeric stood beside me, standing tall and confident. I couldn't help but feel like an outsider.

Only a second later, there were dozens of wolves surrounding me. They were all so connected, so familiar with each other, and I was just a stranger in their midst. I tried to blend in, keeping my head down and avoiding eye contact, but I knew Emeric's close range to me wouldn't allow me to go unnoticed the way I wished. I could feel their curious glances, their questions lingering in the air.

Then, a voice cut through the silence. "What's she doing here?" It was a wolf, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. He was young, and I could tell from the way Emeric shifted beside me that he wasn't included in the inner ranks of the pack.

Emeric's expression hardened. "This is Gem," he said firmly. "She's under my protection."

The man didn't seem satisfied with the answer, his gaze flicking between me and Emeric. "And why should we trust her? It can't be a coincidence that this starts as soon as she gets here."

The tension in the air was palpable, and I felt a knot form in my stomach. Emeric stepped forward, his voice low and dangerous. "Because I trust her," he said, his eyes fixed on the young man.

For a moment, the air hung heavy with the weight of the unspoken challenge. Then, the young man nodded, his expression conceding. But I could tell that this was only the beginning, and that my presence among the pack would continue to be met with skepticism and suspicion.

"Attention, everyone!" Emeric's deep voice boomed, causing the wolves around us to fall silent. "I've called this meeting for two reasons. First, I want to introduce you all to Gem, my mate."

He paused, allowing the murmurs of surprise and curiosity to sweep through the wolves. "Second, we need to discuss the matter of Celestina and The Hunters."

As he continued to speak, I could feel the weight of everyone's gaze on me. It was clear that many of them were skeptical about my place in their pack, and I knew that Emeric's next revelation would only add fuel to the fire.

"Before we discuss our enemies, there's something I need to be upfront about," Emeric said, his voice serious. "Gem does not currently possess a wolf."

The reaction was immediate. Gasps and whispers filled the room, and I could see the doubt and distrust etched on many faces. It was evident that some of the pack members were questioning my worth as their Alpha's mate.

Emeric raised a hand to silence the pack, his eyes sweeping over the pack with a stern expression. "I understand your concerns, but I want to make this clear: Gem is my mate, and she is a part of this pack. We will do everything in our power to help her find her wolf, but until then, she deserves our respect. To complicate things further, as Gem doesn't have a wolf, she does not have our healing."

The reaction from earlier was silenced completely. They knew what we both knew. If I died, their Alpha might, too.

"I am calling on you to protect your future Luna," Emeric said calmly, but his Alpha tone doubled through his words; it was a direct command. I looked over at him sharply, wanting to call him on his lie, but biting my tongue. He was lying. He knew that I would never be his Luna.

As if to emphasize his point, Emeric wrapped an arm around me protectively, his Alpha command evident in his posture and tone. "Anyone who does not follow this order, or disrespects Gem will have to answer to me."

The room was tense, but Emeric's words seemed to have an effect. Most of the pack members lowered their eyes, conceding to their Alpha's authority.

Just then, a soft glow filled the area, drawing everyone's attention. To my astonishment, it was Selene, her ethereal form hovering near us, her expression gentle but firm. She spoke in a melodic voice that held a power I hadn't heard before.