Chapter 33 - Thirst

~Colby's Pov~
Colby- Sam, you know I wouldn't come and tell you this if I could help it
Sam- I don't fucking care! You can't ask me to forget something like this
Colby- but I need you to. I can't help it. She's different. She's a challenge. She's understanding. She doesn't just let go. She doesn't make me angry. There's something about her and I can't put my finger on it which just pulls me to her more
Sam- That's Devyn's best friend. My girlfriend's cousin. What do you think they'll say to me when she turns out just like the last one?
The sentence raised anger in me that I hadn't felt towards Sam in a very long time. I shoved a vase off of the table with one arm, holding my head with the other.
Colby- I told you that would never happen again! I've spent all these years trying to get better for you guys, just to be treated like all my work has meant nothing! I know I can handle myself with her. I can feel it.
Sam jumped and stepped back with a stressed look on his face. After a moment he came and sat next to me, looking me in the eye.
Sam- what about the cravings?
Colby- oh they're horrible. Every second I'm around her. Every time she breathes. I'm so, so thirsty. Brennan's blood stopped helping. Animals stopped working. No matter what, I come home and I'm immediately in pain from the pit in my stomach.
Sam- So what do I need to do? What do you want from me Colby? I can't just stop worrying.
Colby- let me spend time with her. Let me let her change me. Maybe, even for the littlest time, I can forget the monster I've become.
Sam- and what happens when it comes time to make the big decision? What happens when we've all aged?
Colby- I'll do whatever feels right at that point. Whether to spend eternity and hope it goes right by her choice, or whether I need to run and not come back
Sam sits back, and I watch tears brim his eyes. He hates talking about what will happen when time goes too far, when he's far too old and I'm stuck far too young.
Sam- I'll do it. I'll drop our promise. But I swear, Colby Brock, if you mess this up. You'll hurt me more than words can even express. It'll be one of my biggest shames, regrets.
I look to him, feeling the same tears brim my own eyes, if that were even possible.
Colby- thank you. I won't disappoint.