Strive 14: H.U.M.A.N.I.T.Y.

Kibishi's POV

Akuma, Tao, and I was walking for about an hour and a half now. It's a bit of a drag but we got no choice but to keep moving. But still, I got something in mind I wanted to say...

"Um, Kuma. Did the group make it okay?" I asked.

"Hmm...yeah?" Akuma said.

"Why did you make it sound like...-" Tao began saying in a worried way.

"Oh, most of them are fine. The thing is...four of them got killed off by that monster back there." Akuma says with a frown.

"They what? Who?!" I panicked. I stop walking and held my stomach "Who got killed?!"

"U-uh...one dark skin with braids, his friend with white hair. There's a former hunter who was helping us until getting captured and finally, a nurse who was working with us..." Akuma said.

"Dark skin..." I frown.

"White hair...Kishi..." Tao frowns.

"They're...gone..." I narrow my eyes in sadness "How can that be?! We were talking just yesterday and-...!" I held my head with my free hand "Damn it..."

"You know them?" Akuma asks while carrying me once more.

"Yeah, Shuan and Mary. They're our cellmates next door. We always laugh together when times get tough."   I mentioned.

"They're best friends just Kishi and me. It's...very upsetting that they didn't make it..." Tao looks at me "I'd imagine how tough it is to see someone close to you dying in your arms. Then you follow them afterward..." 

"....Oh...." Akuma frowns "If only I knew...I would've made sure to tighten our group more...sorry..."

"No, it's fine..." I look at my right hand "...We have to stay strong. It's heart aching but- I can't let this slow us down." 

Scratch! Scratch!

"Kishi...?" Tao call out my name.

"Come here, Tao. Let's send them to a better place." I asked while bending my knee and writing their names. Tao joins and claps her hands and closes her eyes. I join in and do the same.

"Please guide them to a better place," I said.

"Guide and protect them in the other life. We'll live for them and achieve our goal. Let us thank the people who save us, let us thank the people who guide us. I pray that you teach the ways. Ahem." Tao closes the prayer.

We both stand up.

"You guys pray?" Akuma asked.

"Well, I don't always but Tao does. Every night before we go to sleep and before we start the day. It's just last night she didn't do it." I explain to Akuma.

"I see. Religious, Tao?" Akuma asked.

"...Not sure. It sorts of just...feel right praying, is all. Like I have to do it every night and day. It kept me a bit sane. Of course, Kishi does 95% of that." Tao states.

"Interesting," Akuma looks forward and then smiles "Ah, look! The end of the tunnel!"

"Ooh!" I shouted in excitement.

"The exit! It's bright!" Tao says with joy.

"C'mon, Tao! Let's head to H.U.M.A.N.I.T.Y.!!!" Akuma shouted in excitement. 

Tao nodded then look at me "Kishi...!"

"Yeah, we're taking the first step to freedom!" I smiled.

The light was bright. It felt warm. I can feel the excitement from within my heart. This new world from the shadow of this dark one. I wonder what awaits us. What will we see? What will we face?