The Heroine (The Doctor)

Start from the beginning

I asked just one thing of you, to be here

Did I not let it slip that I was sincere?

That was my best poker face, trying not to care

I watch and I wait while you never appear

All I wanted, all I ever asked for, was him to return here when he was done. It's all I've asked of him. Yet I guess I kept a brave face on that I'd be okay if he didn't come back. Somehow, someway, he didn't see how scared and worried he would not return. Could he really not see how terrified I was to be left alone in a place I did not know with no one I knew and no way home if he did not return in time? Apparently he did not. Apparently my own poker face of trust and happiness masked the feelings I truly felt.

Yet I'd sing every night in the lounge watching and waiting for any sign of him to appear, but there was nothing. No familiar tuft of hair, no familiar silly style that was all his own, no familiar sounds of brakes being left on or the whizzing of a sonic screwdriver. Nothing to show his return.

The city is war-torn and nearly impassable

I act the lovelorn, I used to be laughable

And though I've been spoiled by pretty privilege

I am no child throwing a fit

I could write the book on disappointment

And you'd be the final chapter of it

One could argue that being an employee and resident of The Underground was a privilege, but I never saw it that way. Yet I could not disagree that I had been treated with such high regards and tended to whenever I required something. I never asked for it. All I asked for was him to return and whisk me away like he's done many times before. It sounded childish, but I had been promised he'd return for me.

With each day that lead up to now I could have written a book filled with things of disappointment. So many chapters would fill it, but the final and most important one would be on him. The man who gave promise of travels among the stars, promise of safety, promise of returning when in need. And how he had broken each and every one of those promises when he left for something else.

So you're a coward or could never love me

Or you have fallen to the enemy

My thoughts on him ranged from a coward that ran the moment danger appeared to a man that could never love another after having lost so much already. Maybe he had been taken down by one of his many enemies. Either way it never eased my mind. Did he ever think of me? Did he forget me? Did he change faces and choose I was no longer worth his time? So many thoughts, so many theories, yet no answers anywhere. Just never-ending questions.

I asked just one thing of you, to be here

Did I not let it slip that I was sincere?

That was my best poker face, trying not to care

I watch and I wait while you never appear

All these people came all this way

Faces stained with loss but smiling as they're crying

I would rather see you laugh at my tragedy

Than choke on these tears while I am curtsying

Despite how few people were here so many came just for this closing night. They came all the way here despite everything they've lost. They smiled as they cried, but who could tell which was caused by my final performance. Even though I had finally lost hope in his return I did what I could to make them all laugh at how silly my tragedies are. Their smiles, their laughs, were all worth it for when I would choke on my own tears while giving my final curtsy. All they knew was that it had been a performance. They could not see how true to heart it all would be for me. Yet it was okay because at least someone found happiness during such a tragedy.

"So you're a coward or could never love me. Or you have fallen to the enemy. The city is war-torn and nearly impassable. I act the lovelorn, I used to be laughable." I sing out to the crowd of people one last time while curtsying one last time; they would never see my face up here ever again. As I left the stage I choked back the tears that wanted to spill over him and his broken promises, but I wouldn't let them. Not now, not when tonight is supposed to be a celebration of the last night this lounge will ever be open.

Swiftly making my way to my dressing room I failed to notice the one face that had paid the most attention to me that night. If I had noticed it then I would've seen the eyes of an oldman who has spent years trying to return here, spent years hoping that time had been kind to me, spent years hoping I'd be safe just like I was the day he left me. I missed it all, but not for long.

As I sat in front of the vanity mirror with few lights lighting up the space I took up I heard a knock at the door. I chose to ignore it. I could not look at anyone at the moment without wanting to bawl my eyes out. Yet that did not stop the knocking, but I continued to ignore it. I ignored it so well that I ignored the familiar whizzing of the sonic screwdriver that I missed so dearly. I had ignored the fact that the door had opened and closed as well as the person that had approached me.

I couldn't, however, ignore the way my name had slipped from their lips. The sorrow, the concern, the fear, the worry, the joy, the hope, the raw emotions that I could only dream of hearing coming from the man who abandoned me. It all took my attention, causing my gaze to shift from my reflection in the mirror to the woman that stood beside me. I did not recognize her at first, nothing was familiar. Until I looked into those old, tired, sad eyes. The color has changed, the face has changed, the voice has changed, the whole body has changed, but those eyes, they could never change.

I knew he had returned. Sure, he is now a she, but nonetheless my Doctor has returned. Here to finally take me away, take me home. Here to complete her promise. Time may not have been on her side until now, but it didn't matter. She is here and I could finally go home.

She gently placed her hands on my cheeks and wiped away the tears that started to flow down my face. Words of an apology went in one ear and out the other. I did not care for it because she is here. To show this I wrapped my arms around her midsection and pulled her close.

"My Doctor, oh my Doctor. You've returned. Oh how I have waited for this day."

"I'm sure you have love. We can discuss that at a later time. For now let's go home."

She didn't need to convince me because I knew that she was here to take me home. And that she did. We returned to the TARDIS, the place I called home. It wasn't until we were floating through the time vortex did either of us talk about what happened. For her a lot more time had gone by, a lot of things took concern, but not for a moment did she not try to come back. For me it was less, but I still dealt with my fair share of hardship. She promised to never do that to me again and I believed her. Once a companion, always a companion, but maybe this time things will be different.