Chapter 24 - The Rune's Impact

Start from the beginning

Imogen wanted to hear my mother's story again. Every detail and shreds I could remember. Valentine's experiments. Jocelyn's depression during pregnancy. Her feelings of euphoria and zest for life after eating my father's food. The truth that it had been angelic blood. The revelation that he had also given it to Céline Herondale. Valentine's plan of angelic warriors, more powerful than regular Nephilim. The extent of his anger after Jace had been out of his reach. I also told her about the superhuman outbursts I had as a child that had worried my mother and how they had vanished over the years.

After I finished, it was quiet for a long time. The Inquisitor's eyes were watered with pain. I had never seen her like this before and it saddened me. Jace looked away. I felt that they were both pursuing their own personal thoughts. I almost felt sorry for them. I knew what it was like to find out the truth about one's family years later. However, I didn't know how to deal with the pain the truth was causing me.

Sometimes I felt like Jace and I weren't all that different. My father had taught me to always keep a cool head. But ever since the truth about him had come out, I've felt a raging fury in my chest. It came out of nowhere and drove me mad. Like Jace, I needed someone to blame for all of this. Only the real culprit was miles away.

As I watched the Inquisitor, I realized that I hadn't been entirely fair to her either. I'd been so fixated on her rejection of me that I'd been just as open about my rejection of her.

"We need to find out what the angelic blood is capable of. What you're capable of," Imogen said after what felt like an eternity. Her voice was firm and determined, the sadness in her eyes gone. "You will train together. I will provide you with our best tutor and a silent brother. They will compare your results and subject you to all conceivable scenarios."

Before I could react, Jace had lunged forward, leaning on the dark table. "But grandmother, that's not necessary. You know me. You know I've evolved just like any other Shadowhunter." There was contempt in his voice.

Imogen nodded and cocked her head to the side. "You did, Jace. But after Clary's report, I have to admit that you behaved similarly in your childhood. There were moments when I hardly recognized you because of anger or joy. It is for your own good to know your true abilities."

Jace looked like he was having a hard time swallowing his answer. He clenched his jaws and then nodded, more for the sake of his grandmother than for real. "Whatever you say." I was surprised that he didn't react at all to Imogen's really important statement.

"In order to compare your results with a regular Shadowhunter, I would suggest that a third Nephilim participates in the training. It would clarify the differences, if there are any," she added, then frowned in a thoughtful gesture.

I could think of a dozen other ways to measure our strength, but I didn't say so. The Inquisitor wouldn't listen to me anyway, no matter what I suggested. Training with Jace was going to be torture and judging by the way he looked, he thought the same. But there was a way to play this situation to my advantage if they would grant me that advantage.

"Would it be possible for Adam Demonhunter to take on this task?" I asked in a sweet voice and gave Imogen a shy smile. "He's one of the few Nephilim I know, and one of the few who don't judge me." Maybe I didn't need to say that last part, but I couldn't help it.

The Inquisitor hesitated and thought about it for a moment. Her blue eyes wandered to Jace, who shrugged. Jace knew Adam, so it wasn't a trap on my part. Adam wasn't someone I could manipulate. Finally she nodded and shrugged herself. "I have no objections." Then she got up and supported herself with the palms of her hands on the tabletop. "I'll arrange everything and let Demonhunter know. You will then hear from me." With these words she dismissed us.