Chapter Twenty - Two

Word Count: 1967

Everett's POV

The past few days have sucked. I don't like it at all, especially with the impending doom that is my adoption interview coming up the next time I'm in New York. I have this feeling that maybe I should tell them the truth but then again I don't want to move into a new house with strangers. I don't want to be a foster kid forever and at least this way maybe I won't be as weird or scared when people ask about my family. I can just say it's complicated. That's a normal thing to say right?

I can actually say I have parents, even if they hate me. I guess it could be better than having only dead ones. I don't know if it's better to have parents that ignore you or parents that are dead, either way, both are absent.

I called Lizzie yesterday to ask her about family law. I know that her parents divorced when she was young so she knew a little bit but not about what I wanted to know. She's gonna ask her lawyer. She told me that she wrote down the questions and will ask very soon. She also mentioned that Scarlett has divorced herself and went through the family court with her daughter Rose. I knew that but I didn't want to ask because I feel like that was a big intrusion into her daughter's life. She never talks about her when I'm around so I figured it was off limits.

"Everett! We're leaving! We'll see you tomorrow morning for pickup, we leave at 8 am," Bridget shouts across the small condo before shutting the door with a loud thud.

"Ugh," I groan aloud. I hate this but what else can I do but accept it?

Life is what it is. I roll out of bed and grab my computer to look up fun free things to do in LA. It only holds my attention for a few minutes because LA is crazy frickin expensive. My phone dings a few times but I ignore it. I know it's Scarlett and I'm ignoring her at the moment because if I'm gonna keep it together I need to ignore my feelings. Scarlett seems to easily draw them out of me so I've concluded that no Scarlett equals no feelings. 

I spend the next three hours binge-watching Youtube. I make a small breakfast with limited pantry supplies. I then take a walk around the block and visit a local book and vinyl store. I just browse because I know there's no way I can afford it and continue with my saving plan. I'm hoping that I can start saving enough money to one day maybe go to college or live on my own. I'm not sure I can get a job since we are constantly moving so I don't even know if I can get emancipated.

----

My night was boring but luckily no nightmares. I woke up at 6 AM to get ready for them to pick me up at 8 AM. I took a quick shower, ate a granola bar for breakfast, and made sure the condo looked as if no one lived in it before heading out the door. 

They were exactly on time to pick me up at the airport. Both were equipped with coffee and pastries from whatever place they stopped at before coming to get me. I loaded my suitcase in the trunk before getting in the backseat. 

Planes always make me nervous, so I tried to pass the time by listening to music. Bridget and Frank never care, it's not like they ever try to hold a conversation with me. We are flying back to New York today because they are going to do primary inspections for my adoption. Ugh, my adoption, it's such a dreadful topic now. I don't even want to think about it. I just, I just, I just don't feel like I belong anywhere anymore. I can't believe I let myself get swept up in the false hope and safety that was Scarlett and her friends. It was just one night and I'll never see them again. 

I was in such deep thought that I didn't even realize that we had left LAX, which I guess it's probably a good thing. I wasn't focused on the plane which meant I was less likely to start shaking out of fear. Bridget and Frank think I shake because I'm cold so they always remind me to bring my jacket on planes. I just roll my eyes and tell them that I don't like planes. The last time we had this conversation, Frank told me that I can't say I dislike planes because I'm cold. Some people are actually afraid. I tried to tell him that some people are me but he didn't care.