Chapter Fourteen

Word Count: 2128

Everett's POV

I fell into a restless sleep after my nightmare but it didn't last long, so I got up early and worked on my homework. I was feeling very fragile. I thought that when I'd get older I wouldn't be as emotional or sad but every year this day feels heavy. Lots of deep breaths to hold me together as I worked through my homework.

I think it's less so that I miss my mom but rather miss having someone care for me in the way she did. She died when I was still fairly young but old enough to have a few fleeting memories of her.

After I finished all my worksheets, I went back to my room to watch my pre-recorded lectures. I made myself comfy and set up my laptop after double-checking it was plugged in before hitting play at 1.5 speed.

I must've fallen asleep because the next thing I heard was my phone ringing. I groggily picked it up without looking. "Hello?"

"Hey, I just wanted to give you a call and let you know that I'm about twenty minutes out," Scarlett informs me. I can easily recognize her voice.

"Okay I'll be ready," I answer as confidently as I can, trying not to sound sleepy.

"Great, I'll see you soon," she beams.

"Okay, bye see you soon," I return trying to be as upbeat as I can despite my low feeling.

After getting off the phone I rushed to my bathroom to get ready. I took a shower yesterday so it won't take me as long today. I quickly run through my routine before pulling on some denim Jean shorts and a nice top. I wanted to look nice but not overly dressed, so I settled on a black top.

Scarlett texts me that she's here while I'm brushing my teeth, so I quickly spit and rinsed my mouth before pulling on my converse and grabbing my backpack. I double-checked that I had my house keys and phone, along with a charger. I'm not making that mistake again, it's a miracle I found my way back.

I made it halfway down to the parking lot before realizing I forgot her sweatshirt. Sighing to myself, I headed back up the stairs while texting Scarlett to let her know that I forgot something.  I take a deep breath, reminding myself that it's okay. I know that I forgot to grab the sweatshirt because there are a lot of other things weighing heavily on my mind. I just need to hold it together because I don't feel like this is something I want to burden Scarlett with.

When I finally make it to the parking lot, I scan the area looking for the familiar blonde but I can't seem to find her. A disappointed thought crosses my mind until I hear the familiar nickname.

"Evie?" She greets, "I'm sorry I had to park down on the other end. I didn't want you to get lost."

"It's okay," I smile weakly.

"Ready to go?"

"Yup," I nod firmly.

"I hope you're hungry because our first stop is lunch," she tells me as we walk towards her car.

———

We go to a local restaurant that Scarlett seems to know well. We are seated fairly quickly before she gives me a complete rundown of what's good on their menu and what's not as good.

I decide to try their Buffalo chicken Mac and cheese which Scarlett said is almost as good as their wings. Scarlett gushes over their chicken wing options for about ten minutes, making me giggle as she raves about how many options they have.

Lunch was delicious and fun. We talked about our favorite movies and foods. It's easy being with Scarlett, she's kind and funny and doesn't push my boundaries like most adults.