She Needs You (Interlude)

So like I keep saying this is the last one
And I keep lying my ass off ig lmao
AND YALL LOVE MY GABBY ONES SO ILL DO SOME MORE IG
‼️‼️Warning: Some mentions of Gabbys Mom leaving (sorry idk if that's a trigger, but my Mom's mother left and she doesn't like to talk ab it so just thought I would add this)
———-
~ 1 year and 9 months before the events of ATSV
"Gabriella! Get in here or I'm not doing your hair! We're gonna be late!" You yelled down the hall. It was Gabby's first day of fifth grade, and she had asked you to braid her hair the night before. You were currently sitting at the kitchen table waiting for her.
"I'm here! I'm here!" She said as she pattered into the kitchen, wearing the new outfit you and her went shopping for the other day.
"How's the outfit?"
"I loovvvve it!" She said drawing out the v sound.
"Good," you said giving her a smile, as you patted the chair for her to sit down on. She scurried over and sat down, you standing behind her to braid her hair.
"Are you excited?" You asked her, concentrating on moving your fingers in her hair.
"Um..." she trailed off, messing with her hands.
"Nervous?" You questioned.
She shrunk in her seat slightly. "Yeah...a little."
"That's okay Gabs, just nervous to be in a new class?"
"Yeah. And Molly isn't in my class this year."
You sighed as you wrapped a rubber band on the end of her long dark braid. "Well, this is a great chance to make new friends huh?"
"I guess so," she mumbled.
You walked around to face her in her chair, you bent down to meet her eye level, well tried too, she was staring at the ground, watching her feet shuffle on the floor in her new shoes.
"Gabby, you've had six other first days of school, you know what your doing. This is your last first day in elementary school! Next year you'll be an old grandma and go to middle school!"
Gabby looked up now and let out a small laugh. You kept talking.
"So make the most of it right? And make friends that you can take with you to middle school, it helps, trust me. I bet lots of people will want to be friends with you. Your super cool."
"Yeah, yeah," she said rolling her eyes playfully.
"You can do it," you said as you grabbed her shoulders. She gave you a slightly more determined nod. She stood up and gave you a hug.
"Thanks, Mama-" Gabby froze in your arms. She looked up at you and you stared down at her wide brown eyes. "I'm sorry I didn't mean too-," she started.
"Oh no, no, baby, it's okay, I'm not upset-," you said quickly. Your pretty sure Gabby has never called anyone that.
Gabby's real Mom left Miguel and her when Gabby was barely one year old, and Gabby hasn't seen her since. Miguel hasn't even spoken to her, but he says he thinks she lives in California somewhere. He doesn't like to talk about it much. He says he doesn't miss her, but you think he's more upset about the fact that he left Gabby without a Mom. You hadn't even met the lady, but you had a secret dislike for her to leave Gabby. Sure, she was only one at the time, but Gabby is so sweet and kind, and just the nicest little girl.
"Come here," you said as you pulled Gabby back into your chest, feeling a lump in your throat. She hugged back. You pulled apart, as you heard Miguel's footsteps enter the kitchen. You looked up at him, and he gave you a confused look. "Later" you mouthed to him. He nodded and turned to Gabby.
"Ready for school? Do you have your backpack and pencils. You know, the boring stuff?"
"I already checked her bag, she's got everything. Including the boring stuff that is necessary." you answered, picking up her bag and passing it to her.
"Yeah, Dad. The necessary things." Gabby piped in, justifying your words. You made a defiant face at Miguel, who's own daughter was defending you.
"Oookay then." Miguel said, as he picked up his car keys. "Ready to go? Tell Y/N bye and thank you-"
"NO! I mean- no. She is coming with us. Right? You'll come with us?" Gabby turned to you with a desperate expression.
"Yes of course I will," you said smiling reassuringly at her.
"Okay let's go then!" Gabby grabbed your hand, and drug you towards the apartment door. As she pulled you past Miguel, you saw him watching you two with a sweet smile.
—————
Miguel pulled up right in front of the school. You looked out your passenger window to see flocks of kids on the outside lawn, on the entrance steps, filing out of buses, basically anywhere there was free space. You turned around in your seat to look at Gabby who was blankly staring at the kids.
"See any friends?" You asked her hopefully.
"Yeah.....a few," she said nervously, biting her lip.
"Well good! Why don't you go out there and wait for school to start with them?"
Gabby did not answer. She just looked down at her shoes. Your eyes flicked to Miguel next to you, who had set his sunglasses on top of his head and was giving you a look of concern. He reached over and put his hand on Gabbys knee.
"Cariño, you only have three days, and then it's the weekend. That's not too long."
"But- doesn't Y/N go back home this weekend? I want her to stay." Gabby pouted. Miguel looked back up at you before turning back to Gabby.
"She's always welcome, but we can't keep her here forever-"
"But I want her here. Forever. I want my Mom." Gabby whispered the last part, but you and Miguel heard it. You stared at the little girl that sat in the backseat of the car, who just wanted you. Her Mom. You looked back at Miguel who's mouth was open slightly in surprise, but it soon turned to a small smile.
"Well, we will talk about her staying okay?" Miguel squeezed Gabbys knee.
"How about I stay this weekend, and we can all go to the beach?" You asked, trying to bring her spirits back up. She nodded excitedly. You smiled at her.
"Schools gonna start soon, Gabs." Miguel said.
"Okay! Love you guys!" And she leapt out of the car without another word.
You watched her meet up with some friends on the lawn through your window. The lump in your throat had returned. You jumped slightly as Miguel grabbed your hand. You turned to him.
"She needs you. We need you, actually. So, what I'm trying to say here-"
"You want me to move in?" You finished for him.
He sighed. "Yeah."
"I'd like that."
—————
My baby fever has been so severe lately guys so if you have a baby layin around feel free to send me my way 😭
I got like three more interludes planned and I think that'll be it 🤧