An Eventful Night

1973:

I pulled up to the Victorian house in my '67 Mustang. John sat on the front porch swing with Christine's head in his lap. The married couple was laughing about something intensely hilarious. I grabbed my woven bag full of song books and musical arrangements. I jiggled the door open and struggled to get my short legs out of the door and onto the street. I finally made my way to the front steps. The mousy blonde turned her head in my direction.

"Hey blondie. Your looking chipper!"

"Right back at you! Hey John! Mick or the woman hopper here yet?"

"Mick is inside setting up. I haven't heard from Lindsey yet."

"Thanks. I want to get something done without punching him in the face." I opened the screen door to reveal Mick setting up his drums, just as John said. "Hey there stranger!"

"Hey." he grunted, "Can you give me a hand here?" He cocked his head toward his snare stand. It had closed, maybe when he dropped it. I pulled the top three tongs open and helped him position his drum inside. "Thanks." He sat down on his stool and started to fiddle with his sticks. "So... You and Lindsey a thing?"

"Not anymore. Or at all. I don't know if we were even dating. Even if we were he screwed it all up."

"I get it. I was like that with Jenny, until we got married."

"Do you and Jenny have any kids. We have one, Amy. She's about eight months pregnant now with our 2nd. We think it's a boy. We want to call him Jamie."

"I like the name. Are you hoping it's a boy?"

"I'm just hoping that the baby is healthy." The door slammed and a man stood in shades.

"Hey, sweetie!" He came next to me and kissed my cheek.

"Mick, darling, could you tell Lindsey that I am not his girlfriend." Lindsey slowly backed away from me. Christine and John practically skipped into the house, giggling like toddlers. "So, I have some songs that are ready." I passed out four sheets of paper titled 'Rhiannon'. "It needs the melody and I think Mick could find a good beat for it. Everybody sank into the chairs and couches.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

It was now three a.m. Mick fell asleep on the couch two hours ago. Lindsey and John were working on the filler. Christine sat with her head in my lap. We have been talking about John and her for over an hour. "So. How did you know he was the one?"

"I just knew. You know?"

"Not exactly. I thought one boy I dated when I was sixteen was the one. I loved him more than anything."

"I know how you feel. We should probably get some sleep. You gonna stay here?"

"I should probably go home."

"Oh... Come on Stevie. There are enough rooms for everyone. Please?"

"Alright." I agreed. We walked over to the kitchen, where the awake boys were. Christine held John's hand. He picked her up and made their way up the winding stairs. Lindsey was still experimenting with sounds. "Come on. You need some rest, darling. It's for the best." I said, not actually caring.  I jumped onto the counter top next to him.

"What do you think of this?" He asked while playing a riff.

"I like it." Lindsey leaned turned to me and leaned in. Then kissed me. "Linds, I can't screw this opportunity up. I need this band!"

"Maybe we don't have to!" He picked me up off of the counter and lead me to the stairs. We tiptoed up the stairs.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Flash forward to us laying in bed smoking cigarettes. "Every time I try to quit you." I said. I raised the cigarette to my lips and inhaled. "We better get some sleep. It'a five!" I said exhaling with every word. I turned on my side away from him. I felt a soft hand slowly rest on my hip and his lips on my neck. "I swear to God, Lindsey." I turned towards him and it started all over again.