Players Only Love You When They're Playing

Lindsey and I walked into our senior prom, our arms linked. We met his group of friends at a few tall tables. A few of my friends were in the group. I tried to make small talk, but I was secretly trying to listen in on the boys. I can't stand to talk of dresses. Only music and most of them didn't know what a a chello was. Anyways, the boys were giving him crap because I wasn't wearing a short dress. Lindsey either didn't want to say anything or didn't care enough. However, I had a comeback for them. "I think they all went to far. They're jeans are too low, their tops got too see through. Personally, I think that sexy is keeping yourself mysterious. I'm a really old fashioned girl and I think that's totally sexy." After my amazing comeback the band introduced themselves.

"I'm John, I'm the bassist."

The woman playing the piano went next. "Hi. I'm Christine. I'm the piano player and singer"

Finally, it came time to the man on the drums. "I am Mick Fleetwood. And we are Fleetwood Mac." They started their next song. "This is 'Sentimental Lady'." Christine started singing.

"You are here and warm, but I could look away and you'd be gone. 'Cause we live in a time,when meaning falls in splinters from our minds. And that's why I've traveled far, 'cause I come so together where you are. And all of the things that I said that I wanted, come rushing by in my head when I'm with you. Fourteen joys and a will to be married. All of the things that you say are very..." Before Christine could even get to the chorus, Lindsey booed.

"Please, my girlfriend can sing better than that."

"Oh really? Bring her up here then and have her sing." Lindsey pushed me up towards the stage. I was still trying to get over the fact that he called me his girlfriend. I stumbled up the stairs. All I could see was Christine glaring at me. "What's your name?" She asked into the microphone, then handed it to me.

"Steph.." I started to say. "Stevie, Stevie Nicks. "

"Well Ms. Nicks. Go on ahead. Christine backed up from the mic after she put it back in it's stand. I slowly walked toward it.

"Umm.. Hi everybody." I started, "I'm Stevie and this is a song I wrote. I doesn't have a title and the chorus isn't quiet yet finished. Anyway, I hope you enjoy." I pulled my hair into a messy bun right before I sang. "Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom. Well who am I to keep you down? It's only right that you should, play the way you feel it. But listen carefully to the sound, of your loneliness. Like a heartbeat drives you mad,in the stillness of remembering what you had. And what you lost. And what you had. And what you lost." Now came the part I was dreading, I looked out to the audience for some inspiration. "Thunder only happens when it's raining." I looked to Lindsey. He was dancing with two cheap looking girls. My face grew hot and suddenly it hit me. I almost screamed the words and Lindsey knew who it was directed at. "Players only love you when they're playing!"