His Name Was Lindsey, And Mine Was Stevie

1966:

When I got the call from Lindsey I never thought it would change my life. I had always liked him but I never thought that my dream would come true. The phone rang three times before I could legally answer it. Legally in the law of the ladies, so it wouldn't make me seem desperate. I picked up the phone and waited a couple seconds to greet him. "Hello" I said.

"Hey. Is this Stephanie Nicks? It's Lindsey, Lindsey Buckingham."

"This is she. But you can call me Steph. It's kind what my dad calls me."

"How about Stevie? Might be nice to have another nickname"

"Ummm..." I giggled,"Sure. Stevie. I like the sound of that! What's going on with you Linds?"

"Well, Stevie, I was wondering if you wanted to go to prom with me. I'll pay for the tickets and dinner."

"Wow. I've never been to a school dance before."

"So what do you say, Stevie?"

"Sounds... Swell." Swell? Swell? I've never used that word in my life! It's 1966 for God's sake.

"Alright then. See you at the dance tomorrow!"

"See you Linds!" I put the phone down slowly and sunk into my bed. If I get to sleep before something could be ruined, the only thing that will haunt me will be what I have to wear. My senior prom! I couldn't think of a better person to go with!

------------------------------------------------------

I searched my closet around ten the next morning. We couldn't afford a new dress for tonight. Strapless Light blue? No. Orange cream with quarter length sleeves? No. In the back of my closet there was a pink box with a word written in French on the lid. I lifted the lid to find a tiered, cream, peasant style dress. Perfect! It was Saturday, so I had all day to get ready. I started in on my hair. I took my hair rollers and stuck them loosely on my head. Well my curls were setting I looked for shoes. The only pair that I found after two hours of searching, were a pair of beige, high heeled boots. I made my way downstairs to our kitchen to make some lunch for Lori and I.

 She had requested grilled cheese the night before so got out the frying pan. Click, click, click. Our gas stove was turned on in an instant. By the time the sandwiches where finished Lori came clomping down the stairs in a pair of mom's chunky heels. I took mine to my room and ate it in silence.

 I decided to finally start on my makeup after two hours of laying around in my room writing a song. It still needed a title and a chorus, but it was coming along swimmingly. I did my signature smokey eye that my mother didn't approve of and just moisturized my lips for an anticipated kiss. I slowly unraveled my hair to reveal some insanely structured curls. But at the roots, my natural kinky curls were very prominent. I slipped on my dress and boots and ran out the door just as a honk came from the outside of the window. Lindsey and I drove away to our idea of a "classy" evening.