Chapter 34: A Good Day

Start from the beginning

...you've gotta be kidding me, Sincline deadpanned... and that's when Cordovin noticed Maria. She strutted forward and stopped exactly a foot away from the elder Huntress.

"Witch," Cordovin greeted coolly.

"She-devil," Maria replied with equal friendliness, her 'eyes' narrowed.

Cordovin sniffed, eyeing Sincline and Saphron. "I see you've chosen larger contraband to smuggle this time," she stated.

"Oh, Cordo," Maria replied dismissively. "You know they say time changes people, but I see you've still got that stick right up your—"

"Excuse her, ma'am," Sincline interjected, pushing down Maria's raised finger before she could finish her sentence and get them into even more trouble. "My name is Sincline, and I—"

"You civilians are clearly incapable of comprehending the importance of our mission here in Argus," the short woman barked. "So, allow me to say this slowly, with smaller words: this base—" she gestured to the 'fortress' behind her. "—that relay tower—" she pointed toward the large tower on one of the other 'islands.' "—the very safety of Argus all gifts from the glorious Kingdom of Atlas!" she proclaimed, spreading her arms as though to encompass the entire city. "And it is my duty to uphold them, as only I have the wit and tenacity for such a task!"

"Such wit!"

"Such tenacity!" the two guards chimed in.

...maybe whatever Maria was going to say was probably right, Sincline thought as a bead of sweat dripped down his neck. He decided right then and there that he didn't like this 'Cordovin' person.

"Or maybe Atlas just wanted to get you as far from the Kingdom as possible," Maria offered, earning a nod from Saphron and a thoughtful head tilt from Sincline.

Cordovin glared at her. "You're just like the rest of these Argus ingrates!" she snapped irritably. "This city wouldn't even be here if it weren't for our Atlesian ancestors, and what do we get in return? The entire world is ready to put a knife to our throats!"

...what on Remnant is she talking about? Sincline wondered. "Look," he said, raising his hands diplomatically, "I'm just here to help Ironwood test the new defense system—"

"The General is no coward!" Cordovin barked. "Atlas is strong. If all the Kingdoms plan to make us their enemy, then so be it! Atlas will prevail!"

"Atlas will prevail!" the two guards echoed.

Sincline stared at them for a long moment, fighting back the urge to facepalm at the embodiment of sheer ridiculous paranoia in front of him. "No one said anything about challenging the might of Atlas," he said carefully. "I'm just here to—"

"And if you're in contact with Miss Schnee, and she has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then of course the Atlas military will extract her and escort her home," Cordovin went on as though he hadn't even spoken. "But the Kingdom will not be responsible for any... 'friends' of questionable character that she may have made."

Sincline's eyes narrowed dangerously, and Saphron shivered as the temperature dropped ever so slightly. Maria glanced at Sincline as the briefest hint of bloodlust filled the air. "And what, pray tell, do you mean by those of 'questionable character?" the mech-turned-human asked, his icy tone as sharp as the edge of one of his scimitars.

"It means we're done here," Cordovin replied, ignoring the warning shiver that crept down her spine... and that's when a familiar voice echoed across the platform.

"Cordovin, stand down," Ironwood ordered, hands clasped behind his back as he and a group of three men and two women made their way down the bridge toward where Sincline, Maria, and Saphron were facing off against the base leader.