Chapter 34: A Good Day

Magsimula sa umpisa

"We will fetch her at once."

Together, both guards leaned to either side, spun on their heels... and marched off in some kind of strange jog. "Hup-hup-hup-hup-hup-Atlas! Atlas! Atlas!"

Sincline, Maria, and Saphron stared after the guards incredulously. "They were kind of..." Saphron trailed off, unsure of how to voice her thoughts on... that.

"Super weird?" Sincline offered. "Uh... yeah."

"Hmmmm..." Maria frowned, rubbing her chin thoughtfully.

"What's wrong?" Sincline asked, glancing at her. Please tell me we're not about to go up against more soul sucking monsters, he pleaded silently, recalling the last time the Grimm Reaper had remembered something.

"Well, I... may know this commanding officer," Maria said finally.

Saphron blinked. "That's good, isn't it?" she asked carefully. "I mean... if she's your friend, then maybe she'd be more willing to help you guys."

Maria hesitated. "I wouldn't exactly call us... 'friends.'"

"...Acquaintances?" Sincline guessed.

"Not quite."

"Colleagues?" Saphron offered.

"Warmer."

Sincline hesitated, desperately hoping it wasn't the last option. "...enemies?"

"That's the one!" Maria said cheerfully, raising a finger.

"Wait, what?!" Sincline yelped. You've gotta be kidding me!

"Oh, yes," Maria recalled, missing the exchanged look of horror between Sincline and Saphron. "I come through here about once every ten years to get my eyes checked up in Atlas." She tapped her prosthetics for emphasis. "You bring outside cashews on one flight, and suddenly you're placed on the additional screening list for life!"

"...you've gotta be kidding me," Saphron said finally, her expression dazed. We're doomed.

"Now, now, let's not give up hope yet," Maria replied, resting her hands on her weapon. "...maybe she's dead."

...Oum? What have I ever done to you? Sincline and Saphron wondered simultaneously. And that's when the gates snapped open, and the guards returned, standing at attention at either side of the gate.

"Introducing—!"

"—special operative—!"

"Caroline Cordovin!" the guards announced.

Heavy boots approached, and Sincline looked up... only to find no one there. He blinked. What the—? He sent out a quick pulse and, following the rebounded signature, looked down in surprise. Standing before him was a... vertically-challenged elderly woman with short silver hair and brown eyes dressed in an Atlesian uniform with black boots and gloves.

 vertically-challenged elderly woman with short silver hair and brown eyes dressed in an Atlesian uniform with black boots and gloves