"Are you insane? I'm not okay with this." I said with an unbelieving laugh.

"I know. But we need to convince Lincoln and Maddox to let you go," Alice said with her hands clasped on her hips — lecturing me. "You can't go crazy on them. Maddox is already pissed. Let's not upset him further." She walked to the door and opened it. "Oh, and throw that damn bear repellent away." She rolled her eyes. "C'mon let's go."

I watched her disappear out of the door.

Was she joking?

How could I pretend everything was okay? I couldn't go out there, knowing what I know now. I shut my eyes and argued facts in my head. Maybe Alice was right. In order to get the hell up out of here, I must play along.

With that promising thought, I marched out, gulping with a dry damn throat!

The lively backyard barbecue was in full swing. The sun shone brightly, breaking through the thick clouds. People — or werewolves — were chatting, laughing, and enjoying the grub of grilled food as they sat on the benches at long tables while others were scattered on the grass in little picnic huddles.

I walked into the scene, holding my breath, staring at these people with a troubled perception. I glanced at children, women, and men — looking and acting normal. But they weren't. they were far from the humans I know. My eyelids fluttered as I moved on shaky legs. I scanned the area, searching for bloody Alice.

Where the hell is she? My fake smile faded slightly as I felt uneasy.

I didn't want to look like a dildo standing in the middle of nowhere, so I tentatively walked towards the food, hoping to find Alice there. A group of four sat at a nearby bench, but as I approached, their laughter abruptly died down. They exchange glances with one another and stared at me. Their tense eyes built a knot in my stomach. To them, I was an unwelcome intruder that could expose them.

Fuck!

My eyes welled up with tears, but I took a deep breath in and tried to compose myself.

"Zoey!" I heard Alice's voice on my left and spotted her seated alone at a table.

"Thank fuck," I mumbled.

"Grab something to eat and meet me here," she said.

I nodded and hurried to the food. There wasn't much left. Empty trays rested with scattered scraps of meat and crumbs from the rolls. But I didn't care as much as before. My appetite completely vanished. I grabbed a plate and scooped up the remaining potato salad with all the trimmings gone, grabbed a burnt chicken drumstick and a half sweet corn on the cob. Not that I desired any of it. Swiftly, I marched up to Alice and took a seat beside her, determined to salvage this fucked-up situation.

I plopped down and breathed in deep — feeling uncomfortable as fuck than I ever had been before.

"All the ribs are gone." Alice pursed her lips as she pecked on her chicken skewer. I nodded vaguely, not having an inch of appetite, as I stared at my sweet corn. Alice continued to talk, but I zoned out, feeling an out-of-body experience.

I'm surrounded by supernatural beings. I'm surrounded by werewolves. Was all I chanted in my head — giving me a damn headache.

I hadn't realized the table became quiet. Unexpectedly, three men sat down. One next to me and two opposite. Alice left my side. I kept my head low. My breathing became heavy as my heart raised. I dared not look up as my body started to tremble. I watched as plates with heaped food of meat slammed on the table with a rumbling of chuckles I recognized as Zack and Mike.