c h a p t e r 1 2

Chapter 12

For some reason, last night's bruises and pain weren't as bad as they feel this morning. "Coffee?" Marcus had arrived, assuming Gael would need a ride to work. "No thank you," Gael answers, all he wants to do now is spend the money that he won the night before to make himself feel like it was worth it.

"I'd like some," Mattias announces. Gael instantly turns around to look at the guy, the horror in Mattias's eyes when he sees his best friend so beat up scared Gael. "Don't ask," Gael orders. Footsteps down the stairs prepare Gael for his wife coming down the stairs and the reunion between her and Mattias. Several stories fly through his head of why Mattias is in the house when the guy casually told her that he's wanted in a whole bunch of states.

Marcus hands Mattias a mug and he looks at Gael. "So I can take it that you don't need a ride to the office today?" Gael's stomach turns at the question. He hates being the type of boss that doesn't show up at the office, but he can't exactly show up his cheeks swollen and a cut on his lip.

Which employee would ever take him seriously if he showed up beaten up? They don't know what he does at night, he can't exactly tell him how much he got for this – he'll have to come up with a lie that might ruin everything someday.

"Mattias? What are you doing here?" Genesis forces surprise to fill her voice when she walks over to the guy. Mattias watches the girl approach him, the memory of her trying to wiggle herself out of his grip and go to Gael to see if he was okay less than 12 hours before. "I thought I'd visit you both," Mattias answers and he wraps his arms around the girl, smiling softly.

"You okay?" He whispers it in her ear, his voice quiet enough so that only she can hear. Genesis nods so Gael won't notice the secret conversation happening. "Gael, you didn't tell me Mattias was coming," she says, looking back at the guy. Gael shrugs. "I didn't know until last night," he answers.

"Last night?" She furrows her eyebrows together. Several curses in multiple languages escape his lips and he looks away from the girl – he didn't mean to tell her that since Mattias didn't arrive with him. Genesis digs her nails into her palms to stop herself from smiling, she knew Mattias was there and she knew that Gael knew that as well but the way he's acting now only proves that he believes her.

She's a talented liar.

Gael turns to Marcus and he smiles softly. "You can have today off, Marcus, I'll obviously still pay you for today," he says. Marcus's eyes light up. "Are you sure?" He asks, smiling softly. Genesis watches the two in conversation and she glances at Mattias before focusing back on Gael.

Marcus leaves and the room falls quiet. Mattias sips his coffee and Genesis watches him. "How do you feel?" She turns to Gael and bites her lip. "It's pounding," Gael answers, his voice is hoarse now. Genesis opens the freezer and she takes out the ice bag, then she grabs a towel and she wraps it around the ice pack. "Here, this will help the swelling go down," she says, handing it to Gael.

He stares at the girl, then takes it. "Thanks," he mumbles and he looks at Mattias. The awkwardness washes over them and the front door is starting to look very attractive to her to run through to escape it. Gael takes a deep breath and he fills his cup with coffee again. "I'll be in my office," Gael says and he walks away.

Mattias's breath is the only sound that fills the room and Genesis turns to look at him. The eyes of the man in front of her are filled with disappointment. "He's going to find out." He looks at the girl.

"He's not."

"He's already suspicious, I can tell."

"And if he asks you anything, you'll say that nothing's wrong," Genesis says in a more commanding tone. Nothing beats the anxiety that Gael finds out what is going on and what she knows. "I'm not going to lie to Gael for you, Gen," Matt says and he narrows his eyes, "You think your threats scare me, but I've known your husband a little longer than you."