c h a p t e r 8

Chapter 8

Her husband is an underground boxer? Does he win prize money? Genesis's mind is racing and the girl hasn't closed her eyes once through the entire night. It isn't until she hears birds chirping and the sun already shining through her window that she realizes that she hasn't slept at all.

Gael came home at some point but she has no idea what time that was.

That does explain the bruises on his body. Maybe that's why he got those tattoos on his chest and back; to hide them. Genesis's mind is racing and even though they're not even friends, she's worried for his safety. What if his and Mattias's argument was about this?

Her alarm goes off, the ringing sound instantly scaring the girl's thoughts away and she jumps up to turn it off. The sudden movement instantly wakes her up so she decides to get dressed and go down for breakfast. Her head is spinning because of her lack of sleep.

There's a slight anxiety brewing in her stomach that she's forgetting something; something that she had to do today, but she's trying to convince herself everything is okay.

She ate her breakfast as per usual, and Gael did the same. They didn't talk much, but based on the conversation that they did have, he didn't notice anything wrong with her. "You're leaving early?" She glanced at the bag that was leaning against the kitchen island.

"I have things to do," Gael answers shortly, but he's just not going to tell her what exactly it is that he has to do.

Gael left for the office after breakfast, but still earlier than usual, hoping to catch Holly before another office day starts. She disrespected Genesis and therefore Holly disrespected him. The only one allowed to insult her and talk down on her is him. And the only times he'll ever do that is in private, he refuses to give anybody else the impression that she's anything lower than what he's making her out to be.

"Holly," he calls out the second the woman catches his attention. Holly turns around and she looks at him. "Gael, hi," she says, a smile curls around her lips and she walks over to him, "I'm guessing Ginny already filled you in on the party details?"

"Genesis for you."

Her smile fades at the hardness of his tone. "Gael-" she starts but she stops herself from talking when she recognizes the look in his eyes. "How me and Genesis met, is none of your concern," he starts. The words come out like a low growl and Holly instantly knows she should not say anything.

"Me and Genesis's sex life is also none of your business."

"She's 23, Gael, she's fucking immature, she's following you around like a lost puppy," Holly snaps. "You can clean out your office and go home," Gael answers without hesitation. She blinks in disbelief, soaking in the words.

Gael crosses his arms, his biceps flexing at the movement. "Do I need to repeat myself?" He hates himself for having to do this but he hates his family being disrespected more. Genesis doesn't count as a family in his mind, but the girl is carrying his last name, the rest of the world does count her as his family.

"Oh please, you're an ass to her and now you want to defend her?" She scoffs and looks at him. "Don't think I don't notice the surprise whenever she does achieve something." The words come out like a poisonous hiss, they're stinging in his ears, each one worse than the other. "And who are you to talk to me that way?" The authority turns back to his voice.

Holly looks at him. "You're my friend," she says. "I am your boss," Gael corrects her, "You are not my friend and you have never been." Holly's eyes gloss and she blinks quickly to back off. "You're 37, Holly, don't cry because your boss doesn't want to be your friend," he hisses, "ex-boss."