Ch. 26

I woke up with a pounding headache. I looked around and noticed that I was in the guest room. There was a glass of water, some painkillers, and a trash can with a towel next to it on the floor too. The trash can had puke in it and slowly I remember throwing up in it at some point during the night. I couldn't remember why I was in the guest room but I guess I got pretty wasted last night and crashed here. I seriously don't remember anything from last night except that everyone was over for dinner. I do remember having a terrible dream where Skylar and I were arguing and everyone was there too.

Looking at my phone I saw that it was 10 am. I headed to my room and found it empty. Maybe Skylar was downstairs already. I brushed my teeth and took a shower before heading downstairs. Skylar was in the kitchen taking out two pieces of toast from the toaster before placing them on a plate.

"Hey, good morning." I smiled at her. She didn't say anything but instead gave me a small smile before walking out of the kitchen. That's odd. "Wait, Skylar, what's wrong?"

But she still didn't answer me and left the kitchen. I was about to follow her but my phone rang. I looked at the screen and saw that it was Austin.

"Hey man, what's up?" I asked.

"Did you apologize yet?" he asked.

"Apologize for what? And to who?"

"Do you remember what happened last night?"

"No... but I woke up hungover and feeling pain in my face. Usually, that doesn't happen to me when I'm hungover. But I don't really remember anything from last night."

"Ugh! Really? Okay, has Skylar said anything to you?"

"No, she's ignoring me. Did I do something wrong? I'm really confused."

"Yeah, you screwed up big time. Meet me at my house in 20 minutes." with that he hung up. This was starting to freak me out a bit. Skylar wasn't speaking to me and Austin sounded really upset and irritated. He also just cut straight to the chase, which is very unusual for Austin. After finishing up the toast and cleaning up my dishes, I went to find Skylar to let her know that I'm going to Austin's house. She was in the living room doing some assignments, but she had tears in her eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong? You can talk to me, Skylar." I said as I knelt down to touch her face. But when I reached my hand out she flinched and turned away. Why would she do that? I'd never hurt her. She was acting scared and distant from me but I knew that I'd figure out the reason at Austin's and I just needed to give Skylar some space. Whatever I did, I fucked up because she's never been like this before. I told her that I'll be going to Austin's house and she only nodded and whispered a low "okay".

When I reached Austin's house, Kelly answered the door but she also didn't say anything. She only glared at me and walked away from the door. Austin led me to his office but he was also silent.

"So Xavier, do you remember anything from last night?"

"No, I don't. I remember inviting everyone to dinner and having a few drinks but that's it. I can't remember the details of anything. And why are all the women giving me the silent treatment? Did I say a sexist joke or something last night?"

"You did something way worse. You insulted your wife in front of everyone. How can you not remember that? You were a complete asshole!" Austin slightly yelled toward the end.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. Austin then continued to tell me the events of last night. So it wasn't a dream. I'm a total jerk! I'm the worst husband in the world! Why would I even say something like that to Skylar? I don't even think it's her fault, not one bit! After Austin told me that no one in the family is speaking to him until I apologize and make it up to Skylar. I hurried home and found Skylar in the same spot. I went over to her and held her hand. I profusely apologized to her and she looked at me for the first time today. She spoke to me and explained how she felt last night and how hurtful my words were. We continued to talk it out and I promised her that I didn't mean any of it. I know that it's not her fault for not getting pregnant and we're still going to try to have kids. I couldn't believe what I did last night, I'll never forgive myself for it. I don't know why or how Skylar did but I sure loved her for her kindness, even toward a jerk like me.