Ch. 11

We arrived at the Harrison Hotel and there were already a lot of cars lined up ahead. Xavier said that the driver will drop us off at the front that way our pictures can be taken. He said that almost every celebrity prefers to be dropped near the entrance because it's a shorter walk, even though the paparazzi are everywhere, even at the entrance. I was beginning to feel a bit nervous because there would be a lot of wealthy people at this party and it's the first big event Xavier and I will be attending.

"Don't worry about this Skylar. I'll be with you the entire time." Xavier reassured me. I felt a little bit better knowing that he said he'll be with me the entire night and I just had to trust him. When the driver pulled up front, swarms of cameras and flashing lights blocked our view. The lights were starting to hurt my eyes. Xavier grabbed my hand and led me through all the cameras. When we finally entered the hotel, I felt as if I could actually breathe. Xavier had told me to ignore any questions the paparazzi would ask and just keep my head down. At the entrance, there was a professional cameraman with an entire setup. He told Xavier and me to pose and snapped a few pictures. This was so it could go on the website and he also said he could send us a copy. I gave him my number and he instantly sent the picture to me. Xavier and I looked really good in the picture. You couldn't even tell that we barely knew each. As we walked further into the party hall, people greeted Xavier and he would introduce me to them. So many of the women would stare at Xavier, and honestly who could blame them, he looked gorgeous. But Xavier didn't even glance their way. I know he was being polite to me but these women were so beautiful and elegant, even I stared at them. We mingled a bit more before heading over to grab some snacks. There was a table reserved for us, so we sat there once we grabbed some food.

When the waiters were collecting all the dishes from the tables and clearing out the food, an older gentleman walked to the stage. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for attending the Brockton Family's Young Entrepreneurs Event. I'm Edward Brockton, the founder of this event. This is the second annual event and I'm happy to announce that last year's event was so successful that we had to have it again. Last year, with the help from all of you, we raised $3.5 million for young adult entrepreneurs who live in underdeveloped countries. These young minds have a passion for making the world a better place and with their creative inventions and ideas, I genuinely believe the world will be better. They only need the help and resources to actually put forth these ideas and by donating they are able to fulfill their dreams while also helping millions of lives. So please, if you haven't had a chance yet, you can give your donations to the table on my right. Now, I would like to invite some of the biggest donors to the stage to give a few words on their experience with directly working with some of the brilliant, young minds."

With that, everyone clapped as three men and one woman walked on stage. They were sharing their experiences with visiting some of the teens in those underdeveloped countries and helping them expand their ideas. When one of the other men was speaking, I noticed the chair to my left moving and I saw Mark pulling out the chair and taking the seat.

"You look beautiful Skylar! And you too Xavier! Looking hot!"

"Shut up Mark! Don't embarrass me tonight." Xavier said with a frown.

"Thank you, Mark, that's sweet of you! You look wonderful too! Are you here by yourself?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, yes. Xavier already asked the most attractive girl to accompany him so I'm left solo." Mark responded, faking a hurt expression.

"Aww it's okay Mark, there's enough of me for you two to share. I can spend the first half with Xavier and the second with you." I joked. Xavier didn't look too pleased with my suggestion even though I was only joking. I smiled at Xavier to let him know I was kidding while Mark laughed and put his arm around me.