Ch. 2

When Austin and I arrived at the office my assistant informed me that my dad and granddad were in the conference room waiting for me. I headed over there with Austin following behind. The Diamond Enterprises building is a five-story building. The first floor is where the receptionist is and is there to direct business partners to each floor or person. The second floor is where Austin's office is located and all the other people that work with/for him since he oversees the hotel part of the family business. My office is right above his on the third floor but I am in charge of overseeing the restaurants but not entirely since Dad is still technically the owner of all the restaurants we own. I help him with business deals- expanding to other areas, finding more partners, and improving our service and reputation even though everyone already loves everything we own. My dad's office is located on the fourth floor while Granddad's office is at the very top on the fifth floor.

The conference room is on the fourth floor towards the back of the hall. Dad and Granddad were sitting at the table and I knew the conversation was going to be a serious one based on their facial expressions.

"Hey Dad. Hey Granddad. Sorry we're late." said Austin.

"No problem, we understand you both have busy schedules." replied Granddad.

I shook hands with them both and took a seat across Dad while Austin sat across Granddad.

"So what did you guys want to talk about today?" I asked.

Dad was the first to speak. "So since you're 24 years old Xavier, it's time you have full responsibility for all the restaurants Diamond Enterprises owns."

"Yes, I completely agree Dad. I've worked really hard, especially in the past year. I opened five more restaurants within the first 4 months of last year and made deals with 3 international partners. And not only that, I also opened up my own apartment complex on my own. I did all this at such a young age, I think I deserve to have all the restaurants under my control." I said in a steady voice, trying to keep my excitement contained.

"Well, not so fast mister. You have proved to be doing extremely well in the business, and very successful too. But I don't want just a businessman running the family business. We have a reputation for being family-oriented and caring. You, on the other hand, have a different reputation. I'm seeing more and more on the news and tabloids how you were at this party with that girl or that club with this girl. You being out with different women is not a good image for the family. You need to control your needs, or at least keep it discreet. You're also known to yell and become frustrated easily among your employees. You've fired at least 5 people in the past week. And for what? Because they made one mistake or didn't do something your way? You have to be cool-headed and calm when addressing the issues with your employees. Austin has never once fired anyone because he addresses their mistakes in a kind manner and hears them out. He's also married and has a beautiful Natalie. This means he is not out every other night with a different model or seen swallowing tongues with another half-naked woman. Therefore, I want you to get married. Once I see that you are faithfully, and seriously, married, the restaurant business will be transferred to your name. It can all finally be yours once you prove to your father and I that you take life seriously, as much as you take this business seriously. If you have a girlfriend, we would all love to meet her but I'm assuming you don't because of your player ways. Unless that's all an act. Even if you have your eye on someone, tell me so I can help you out." Granddad's words shocked me.

"We just want you to be happy and settled down before we give you the responsibility of continuing the business. This has always been what Diamonds do. Family and love first, then work. But you Xavier, have taken the opposite route- work first, and family and love second." added Dad.

"That's not fair! I was never aware of this condition! If I had known I would have found a girlfriend sooner, there are so many girls dying to be with me anyways!"

"I'm not saying I want you to have a girlfriend, I want you to get married! That's the only way I will give you the company! I don't care if it takes you 10 years to settle down, that's the way it's going to be!" yelled Dad.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Not once has anyone ever mentioned me being married in order to take over the business. Why would they even tell me this now? At this rate, I would never get the business under my control!

"So you want me to be married?"

"Yes. Then your father will give you the business." said Granddad.

"Do I have to be married to a girl of your approval?"

"No of course not! But I would like for her to be respectful and family-orientated too. I don't want you to marry one of your flings just for the sake of the business. She has to be polite, caring, and respectful. Not a gold digger. And don't think you can marry someone, get the business, then divorce. You have to be married at least one year, that way I know you are in love and not finding a loophole in this condition."

"Fine. I can prove to you all that I am worthy of having the businesses. Soon you'll be hearing positive news about me."

I stormed out of the room and went to my office. I had to think of something quick. Granddad said she couldn't be a gold digger or a girl I sleep with occasionally. I had to show my family how serious in love I am with a girl. But who? I don't even have any single female friends that would be willing to be married to me for at least a year and then we can go our separate ways.

Desires and Contractsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें