𝐈𝐕

FOLLOWING THE ENGAGEMENT PARTY, (name) returned to london and much to her delight, she had finally, for the first time since her debutante ball, not had the need to socialise amongst the ton

FOLLOWING THE ENGAGEMENT PARTY, (name) returned to london and much to her delight, she had finally, for the first time since her debutante ball, not had the need to socialise amongst the ton. This was because it was common Victorian etiquette for the bride-to-be to not appear in public (except for wedding preparations) or at social gatherings.

This meant she could finally allocate more time to studying to achieve the title of not only the first woman in Britain to be awarded a degree, but also the first female professor.

She had realised, from her time teaching her servants various topics, that her love for teaching at a greater level must be pursued. The negative of this, was that William James Moriarty wanted the exact same thing.

Ever since their first encounter at the library or the first time (name) felt true hatred for the male, they had a strange ongoing rivalry between each other. That's why it was so difficult for (name) to accept her position as William's future wife.

Perhaps it was because he represented, at least to her, the fact that she would never be enough in the eyes of the nobility solely because she was a foreign woman, even though she was just as intelligent as William. This was first evident to her when William had received an award for the best student in the mathematics department but when she had looked further into William's work, she found she had done at least three more pieces of extra credit work than he had, which surely would have guaranteed her the award considering in total, all their tests and exams had added up to mean that the two of them were equal in academics.

Each time william would beat her, she would try to level the playing field because if she was to be beaten in intellect by anyone for the first time, it would have to be in a situation where they were both equal. If any other way, she would not be satisfied.

Poor young William had somehow gotten roped into this and it had become routine after every exam or every report for (name) to bombard him on questions regarding his scores or the methods he would use to solve equations. But instead of being creeped out by her behaviour even though they had only talked once properly before, he decided to play along.