8 | Rescued at Last?

((A/N: Hello! and Thank you for being patient in my attempt to update this story. I had to rush it a bit as I want the characters to show up soon. But I also thought of making a longer chapter to make up for the long absence of updates. Lol so again, thank you for reading and I hope to update more often now! Though warning, there are some graphic details that if you're uncomfortable with, skip or be prepared. ))

"My Darlings, would you like to hear a story?" A gentle voice echoed as a young Levi looked up though having not remembered sleeping or even laying down. But in this dream, she saw the familiar image of her mother, the beauty that she was as the young mother smiled down at her and who she guessed was her sister, noticing the familiar long hair. Aileen stole her words and agreed to a story.

"Alright. Long ago,"

Long ago, two babes were left on the side of an empty road and the poor creatures cried with all their little might to be heard but none came. No one other than a female wolf in mourning for her loss of her mate and litter. Hearing the babe's cries, she approached and her heart grew soft for them. An idea hatched in her mind and heart and decided that day to raise the two babies as her own. The babies were raised in the wild, protected and nurtured to face whatever troubles the world would give up until the she-wolf had nothing else to teach. The two boys had soon grown into men and the she-wolf bade them goodbye to let them go to their own.

Their land was at war.

Their ruler was a tyrant.

The two men hatched an idea to rid the land of the tyrant that held no sympathy for his people so little by little, they formed alliances and inherited power enough to raise an army to battle the tyrant's own. For years, their fight would go on, not giving up until a winner was declared.

Finally, the day had come as the twins had won but at a cost. The oldest perished from the wounds he had received and made the youngest promise him to rule justly. The youngest twin, who grieved with their wolf mother for many years, honored his brother's wish and became a benevolent emperor for the Britannian Empire, the first in his name and the beginning of a great legacy that goes on to this day.

"Wow. Raised by a she-wolf? Really?"  Aileen asked excitedly and having a love for animals, it was no wonder she was interested.

The mother nodded and decided to begin braiding her daughter's hair.
"That's how the story goes. That was many millennia ago my dear so it's anyone's guess."
"I guess... People wanted a good story to help explain the beginning.."
"And right you are, my little star. Now let's go cook dinner tonight."

Breaking into a sweat while waking up, Levi sat up and looked around, relieved she wasn't back at the cottage but discontent she wasn't home. She was still in a cave where she and Curtis made their current home base for now. They have been on the move as Curtis explained that they were being followed by other beastmen. Knowing her sister, Levi thought that she made it to the City of Beasts and gathered some beastmen to help her get Levi back.

This made her reluctant to find an opening to escape but Levi was one to never break a promise.

They dove into the water when some hawk beastman and leopard beastmen arrive at their last cave, Levi looks up and made sure to not arouse suspicion. She just hoped that Aileen was all right.

After Curtis was certain that the beastmen left, they decided to break through the surface, Levi moving to get away. But Curtis was smarter and Levi underestimated him as his tail formed and curled around Levi's waist. He had been trying multiple times to make her fall for him and Levi, having not felt such feelings for anyone in her life, she was quite unfamiliar with how it should feel. She would freeze up before quickly moving to get out of any hold he had her in with a slight tint of pink on her cheeks.